From:
Eric Brace <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 12:18:14 -0500
And here's the press release to go along with that 10am press conference
at MTU.

                                        Eric Brace

**********

Friday, February 6, 1998                        Contact: Dave Fischer
FOR 10 A.M. (EST) RELEASE

MAJOR EVALUATION OF MTU HOCKEY PROGRAM COMPLETE
   Huskies To Remain in WCHA; HEC Plans Moving Full Speed Ahead

        Houghton, Mich. -- After more than four months of careful
evaluation of the Michigan Tech hockey program, Huskies athletic director
Rick Yeo and Tech head coach Tim Watters -- in consultation with the
University's senior administration, the local community, and fans and
alumni throughout the country -- have come to the following conclusions:

        1. Michigan Tech will remain in the WCHA.
        2. The need to build the Hockey Educational Center is immediate and
the renovation/addition should be completed as soon as possible.
        3. The need to establish a hockey endowment fund is imperative to
ensure successful operation of the University's Division I hockey program.

        "Certainly the issue of which league Michigan Tech belongs in has
been the hottest topic externally," said Yeo, "but that is one of many
significant issues we have looked at over the last several months."
        Yeo said a Hockey Advisory Council was formed as part of the
evaluation process and that group met at MTU's recent Winter Carnival.
        "We met for more than five hours with the Hockey Advisory Council
last Saturday and the meeting was extremely productive. The people we
gathered have a tremendous combination of hockey and business savvy and
that was important to us.
        "The three conclusions we came to were formed with opinions not
only from the Hockey Advisory Council, but also from many, many others that
have a vested interest in the MTU hockey program.
        "We came to the realization in the final analysis of the league
issue that while there are advantages in some areas to seeking application
to the CCHA, they don't outweigh all the positives of the WCHA. I will say
that the exercise was a healthy one for Michigan Tech to go through.
        "The Hockey Educational Center is important for a number of reasons
and we're confident that with the help of the Hockey Advisory Council we
can raise the money necessary to get the project done immediately," said
Yeo.
        According to Yeo, the Hockey Educational Center will serve as a
complete learning and training center for MTU student-athletes and will
include an expanded varsity locker room and sauna, strength and
conditioning room, training room, equipment room, classroom/study room,
lecture hall/film room, and video editing/conference room. An alumni
reception room and players lounge as well as coaches offices are also part
of the project.
        Yeo added, "And the establishment of an endowment fund for hockey
is something the Hockey Advisory Council was vehement about getting in
place."
        The Hockey Advisory Council is chaired by Peter Grant Sr. ('68).
Other members include Glen Weller ('59), Angelo Comi ('59), Gary Begg
('63), John Rockwell ('79), Darcy Way ('82), Yeo ('66), and Watters ('81).
        "I will say I'm very pleased with what has transpired over the last
four months," said Watters, a 13-year NHL veteran, who is in his second
year as head coach at MTU. "I feel good about the commitment to our hockey
program, both from our University administration and from our former
players and fans. It's healthy to continually evaluate your program and
this evaluation was pretty in-depth. I will say that personally I'm very
happy we'll be staying in the WCHA. I want to thank all of those that have
contacted us with input on the various issues as every voice is important
to our hockey program. I especially would like to thank the members of the
Hockey Advisory Council and look forward to their continued help as we move
ahead in bringing the hockey program back to the level it once enjoyed."
        According to Watters, the Hockey Advisory Council will expand in
the future and is a group he intends will meet regularly to advise him on
issues involved with the MTU hockey program.
        Michigan Tech, currently 13-12-2 overall and 8-11-1 in the WCHA,
will host Minnesota-Duluth (13-14-1, 8-11-1) tonight and Saturday (Feb.
7-8) in a series that could go a along way in determining home ice for the
league playoffs in March. Both teams are tied for fifth place heading into
this weekend.