From:
Bret Marr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 10:27:16 -0500
I'd too would appreciate a little discussion on the Beanpot games from
Monday.

But an interesting point has been raised that I'd like to hear
discussion on as well.  Greenie has a few comments on Chris Drury and
how he plays in the big games.  I've seen him on tv a couple a times and
saw him at the Icebreaker, I think.  I don't remember him standing out
all that much but I think he tailed the BU goal against Mich State.

However, the point made be Greenie, and it's a fair one IMHO, is whether
Drury should be given the Hobey based on a collection of solid years or
one year.  This same discussion was heard during the debate over the
Heisman and whether Payton Manning should have been given it for four
productive years at Tenn.

So, I guess my question for everyone is, should there be another award
recognizing those college hockey players that stick it out for four
years and put up solid numbers.  Most teams have individual awards they
give out at the end of year, including Outstanding Senior or the like.

I don't want to change the Hobey, because I think it should be
acknowledging the best player THAT year.  Like Paul Kariya when he won
it his freshman year and then left.

I look forward to everyone's comments. I hope it hasn't been hashed out
in recent years and I missed the discussion.