Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 04:58:25 -0700
I haven't seen a single post save a one-paragraph score update regarding
last Monday's beanpot games. BU makes it's eigth straight appearance in the
finals, and (again) has the opportunity to becmoe the first school to win
four years in a row (with freshman eligibility). Harvard fights back from
deficits of 3-0 and 4-1 for the upset of BC in overtime.

And nobody has anything to say?

o  Lots of folks here on Hockey-L have taken to "observing" that Chris
Drury isn't playing so well this year, that he's not nearly as close to the
Hobey as many other players... from what I've read about the games, and
what I did see on the tube, Drury confirmed one of the key reasons he's a
favorite for the Hobey: HE PLAYS BIG IN BIG GAMES. No, he didn't score the
winning goal ("just" a fourth-quarter, put-the-game-away kinda tally), but
think about this: over all the years of great teams and great players at
BU, BC, Harvard, and Northeastern, it's likely Drury will emerge as the
ONLY player who's won four Beanpots. I know the Hobey is a "single year"
award, but winning a fourth beanpot is a pretty major accomplishment.

o  For those of you following BC this year, how typical would you consider
their performance? It seems that they pretty much dominated Harvard for
most of the game -- and then simply blew it. Given the significance of the
Beanpot, can this same loss of concentration and/or focus be expected come
tournament time? What happens if BC is given the 4th Eastern seed -- and
needs to be solidly focused to defeat a strong Western 5th seed like St.
Cloud?

o  Harvard? They've got a losing record, yet beat a ranked team. Yes, it's
the Beanpot, where the playing field is leveled, and memories of a losing
season can be obliterated by hoisting the trophy, but still -- they beat
BC. Was this a mere fluke, or a sign that Harvard might be picking their
game up in the coming months?

o  This would be a bizarre occurrence indeed, but imagine if Harvard storms
through the rest of the season, wins the ECAC playoff, and manages a 5th or
6th seed -- and plays through to the final four to join BU and BC. Of all
the Frozen Fours that have been played, how many have had 3 teams from the
same region -- let alone the same city?

I'd love to comment more on the game, but I was only able to catch about
half of the BU-NU matchup, thanks to the (expected) screwup between the BU
Alumni Office and the local sports bar hosting the gathering. Boy, after
missing CC-UND because of snow, UNH-Miami because of a bad wire harness,
and now the beanpot... I'm beginning to wonder if I'll indeed make it back
to Boston <g> this year, or if the darn plane will fly to Costa Rica by
accident.

greenie
S P O O N  ! !
(go BU)

Since BU dropped football, does that mean Silber fumbled?
Real grass at Nickerson for the *real* football! Yippee!