From:
"Andrew J. Weise" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Andrew J. Weise
Date:
Sun, 1 Feb 1998 14:30:10 -0500
>Agreed again. The sad part is that this was louder than most of the earlier
>games this season. One of the reasons for this goes back to a posting
>I made to this list last year. Union seems to consider their #1 rival as
>RPI. But to RPI, their number 1 rival is Clarkson. So this particular
>game was not as big a deal as the 2/14 game against Clarkson will be.

I'll agree there. Union considers RPI as their main rival because RPI is
"the other local team" and RPI has dominated the series. A Union win
against RPI is like the Red Sox beating the Yankees in a pennant race.
Union will cherish any victory they can get against hated RPI. The
frustration peaked last year when Union was finally on the same level
as RPI, yet couldn't beat them in the playoffs.

Thus, the theory is similar to RPI & Clarkson. Clarkson hasn't dominated
that series as much as RPI has against Union, but I believe Clarkson holds
the edge.

>It will be interesting to see what happens on 2/14 against Clarkson.

Tell me about it. The RPI players weren't real amused by Mark Morris'
post-game comments about Clarkson being bigger & stronger & tougher.
The question remains as to whether or not RPI can maintain some
composure (and maybe a little sportsmanship). The Knights, not to
mention the T royambulance corps, better be on the ball that night.
(which is 2/13, by the way - Friday the 13th)

>Also, the Engineers have to be remembering the 11-0 rout up in Potsdam
>and will want to make up for that.

You think so?   ;-)

>OTOH, I was also disappointed at the Union turnout for the game. There was
>one group over in the Southeast corner (section 7?) and another in
>the West grandstand (section 1?) but it seemed much smaller and much
>less vocal than Union crowds in the past. Is that a trend Union is seeing
>also or was it that Union fans couldn't get the extra tickets because
>the Freakout game usually sells out well in advance?

I would have to say the latter would be more accurate. Crowds at Achilles
are still showing up, despite the team's predicted finish. Union was given
their allotment of tickets and trying to get any more through the RPI box office
would be a little tough, due to the "freak" nature of the game.  (sorry...)

I think it was also difficult to "hear" the Union fans because they were
spread out more. There was a few in section 1, some in section 13, and a
few in section 11 - all three of which are out of shouting range of each other.
Hard to make yourself heard when you're spread out like that.

-Andy