From:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 09:45:59 -0500
Ok, Steve. Not bad! But, you left out any
justification for North Dakota's #1 slot.

>>> Steve Jukes <[log in to unmask]>
>>> 1.  North Dakota
>>> 2.  Miami                 - swept Michigan,
>>>     beat NH at Denver cup
>>> 3.  New Hampshire         - Lost to Miami, #1
>>>     RPI ranking
>>> 4.  Michigan State        - losses to ND, AF
>>>     and BGSU, easier sched.
>>> 5.  Boston University     - High RPI Ranking
>>> 6.  Michigan              - no as good as they
>>>     seem, no depth, Miami sweep
>>> 7.  Wisconsin             - Strong standing in
>>> 8.  St. Cloud             - Right there with

Any according to your cirteria, there is no way N.
Dakota should be #1. They have two losses and a
tie to unranked teams. Miami has 5 losses and two
ties against unranked teams. UNH has 0 losses to
unranked teams only 4 losses and one tie total ...
and they are all to top-10 teams. Sure, Miami is
3-0 against ranked opponents but look who they
lost to. They lost twice to ND, a team you are
astonished that Michigan State lost to ... when
MSU played ND three in a row, ND won the middle
game.

Its hard to justify a #1 team, but I go with UNH
who is playing solid hockey ... beating everyone
they should, convincingly. No other top-5 team can
say that. UNH is also playing in the strongest
conference in the nation. I'm not astonished at
MSU's #1 ranking like you. I think Notre Dame is a
solid team that could be a contender in a few
other leagues. I have UND #2 and MSU #3. BU is #4
as they can play head-to-head with UNH and both of
these schools have the toughest schedules amongst
the top ten teams by far. Michigan and Miami are
real close at 5&6. Michigan I think is clearly a
more consistent performer, Miami has yet to falter
in a big game.

All this is speculation ... the pairwise ratings
currently have MSU on top and show the possibility
of a western team getting the #3 east seed. Your
choices are solid, I'd just like a little
justification of why you have UND on top. I do
like UND's non-conference showing...very
impressive ... but not a large enough gauge.

- Paul.