From:
"Edward N. Moller" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edward N. Moller
Date:
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 21:49:55 -0500
I come in a little late on this one, noticing that most of the postings
have originated from the West.  As a long-time Boston University fan, I
know what the Gophers are going through.  In the 1970's the Terriers
were the beast of the east, winning three NCAA championships, five ECAC
titles, and six Beanpots.  During that spell, however, came one year
where they recorded 11 forfeits due to an ineligible player.  After a
21-7-2 finish in 1978-79, they had an 11-17 record in 1979-80 and a
14-15 record in 1980-81.  Five years later they won a Hockey East
championship.  It wasn't until 1990-91 that the dominance they enjoy
today came to fruition.

What happened while BU was down?  For one thing, seats at Walter Brown
Arena were in greater supply.  Fair weather fans are not unique to the
Twin Cities.  Secondly, opposing fans never let the Terriers forget it.
The bigger you are, they harder you fall.  If BU were an average team
every year, do you think the venom spewed at Jack Parker would be
appearing on this list?  Of course not.  It's just the nature of
competition.  If you can't beat 'em on the ice . . .

Is Minnesota's decline good for hockey?  That's a silly way of putting
it.  What's good for hockey is the success enjoyed by the other teams.
There are so many deserving fans at the other schools who have waited a
long time for their team to win the big one. You can be sure that there
is nothing I'd enjoy more than to see my Terriers win every game, but I
know it isn't going to happen.  These things come in cycles.  This is
just Minnesota's turn.  Next year could be BU's (and boy, am I gonna
hear it when that happens), or Michigan's or North Dakota's, etc.  To
the Gopher fans, I say grin and bear it.  The true Minnesota fans know
who they are.  To the fans of the other WCHA teams, I say enjoy this
while it lasts.

What I find interesting is the pressure placed on Doug Woog.  There is
no other coach in college hockey living under this kind of microscope.
You rarely see coaches fired in this game due to their team's
performance.  If there were, you'd be reading a lot more call for heads
on this list.  As it is, whenever a coach has been fired, I can only
recall reading disdain for the athletic director's heartless decision in

doing so (e.g., Air Force, Union).

--
Edward N. Moller
Controller