From:
Steve Jukes <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve Jukes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jan 1998 19:51:25 -0500

> Michigan in being soundly outplayed by Miami outshot the Redhawks 34-14.
> Marty let in a couple of goals that he might not have in other games.  I
> respect Miami, I believe they were ranked 6th or 7th and I was hoping for a
> split this weekend - which would be pretty good for Michigan who is NOT
> playing at home.

  Don't let the shots on goal stat be deceiving. I was actually at the
game (am in Michigan right now) and I can tell you that the majority of
the shots which Michigan had were a) poor quality, non-scoring chance
shots and b) came early in the 3rd period, the ONLY time in the game when
they played half-decently and scored their only goal. Miami's defence was
very strong in keeping the shots from being scoring threats and also at
clearing loose pucks from in front of the net, there were not many second
and third shots on Prior. As far as Miami's shot totals, most of their
shots were high quality scoring chances.. we have to understand that
Miami is a very defense minded team (even though they average about 5
goals for per game).. but there is so much offensive talent tied into
that, that the percentage of shots on net which they convert into goals is
very high. The Redhawks are content to sit back and play solid defensive
hockey.. and simply wait for the other team to make a mistake and then
capitalize on that mistake.

I must go I am late....

Steve
Go Redhawks