From:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol S White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 17:48:50 -0600
On Thu, 22 Jan 1998, John Edwards wrote:
> Where Minnesota's decline hurts the league is financially, I think. IIRC,
> the WCHA gets part (if not all) of the receipts from playoff games. Not
> having a playoff series in Minnesota will mean that the revenue from the
> first round series is likely to go down. (It has to, given that Minnesota
> normally sells out at the most outrageous prices in College Hockey.)

This is true, I understand the Commissioner, Bruce McLeod has been shaking
in his shoes since before Christmas. TOO BAD.

> Not having Minnesota in the Final Five (which is also likely), could
> potentially hurt ticket sales there, as well. This effect may not be as
> great if tickets for that tend be bought in advance of the regular season
> starting.

I think if the Final Five were in St Paul this year, then that would
be a problem...but it's not. Again: TOO BAD.

> That said, I think talk of recruiting non-Minnesotans, or firing Doug
> Woog is a little premature. In a situation like this, where the Gophers
> have been on top for so long, one has run on the theory that one iss an
> aberration, and two is a trend. If it becomes clear over the next year or
> so that Minnesota's downfall is systemic, then perhaps a change might be
> in order. The key thing to look at, in my mind, is whether Minnesota
> retains its ability to pick and choose from the cream of the State of
> Minnesota's recruits. If Mr. Hockey goes to Mankato (for example), that
> might set off alarm bells in Minneapolis.

Well, all but one of the tenders for next season have already been signed
so, whether or not Minnesota gets the next Mr. Hockey is already cast.

Minnesota, who has had several years of being relatively injury-free and
the luxury in seasons past of having a bigger roster, is suffering this
season due to being hit in both of those areas. We have had many injuries
and no longer have more players than we can suit up for a game.

Minnesota will be back!  This season is in serious doubt, due to all the
injuries. The true fans will hang in there. Those who have been fans for
a long time, remember when the Gophers were the doormat of the league,
and having been a fan for *that* long myself...I just keep saying:
"this too shall pass".

For those of you out there, who are enjoying the Gophers down year...
remember one thing...what goes around, comes around...could be it's
YOUR TEAM that has a year like this, next season. Have fun beating up
on a team that is dressing the equivalent of three forward lines and
four defensemen. It's real easy to kick a team that's already down.
Have fun...Minnesota will be back, and we might not be as nice next
season.

-Carol (who is proud to cheer for a team that continues to try and win
games, despite all the adversity of this season.)
GO GO Gophers!!!