Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 17:26:42 -0600
You often hear college coaches saying that they should be treated like
faculty, with tenure and such.  I always find this humorous, in a dark
sort of way.  Just how long do you think a history professor would last
if he tried to motivate his students (undergrads, of course; we all know
that grad students are fair game.)  with insane tirades, obscenity laced
taunts and threats, not necessarily physical,  like, say, Bobby Knight
does?  While the case the article cited is probably extreme, I suspect
that variations on it are fairly prevalent.  That's certainly the way
our high school football coach taught the gym class I had him for.

J. Michael Neal