From:
Bill Schneller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Schneller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 16:48:01 -0500
From today's Providence Journal:
Providence Bruins coach Tom McVie on his teams 9-29-5 record:

        "When I go home after a win, my wife looks just like Cindy Crawford.
        After we've lost, she looks like (Colorado Avalanche coach) Marc
        Crawford. When we've lost two in a row, she looks like (ex-Boston
        Bruin) Lou Crawford. . . . and the way we've been playing lately, she
        been looking a lot like Broderick Crawford (late character actor from
        Highway Patrol fame)."

College hockey content:

        "Despite a scoring drought that has lasted 189 minutes and 25 seconds,
        Providence College captain Mike Mader said the Friars aren't pushing
        any panic buttons: 'It's a confidence thing. Even though we haven't
        scored in three games, we're still playing hard.'"

I agree with the first sentence, but as much as I'd like to I just can't
agree with that second part. The Friar's packed it in early on Saturday and
based on what others have told me didn't impress on Friday either. Granted,
getting shelled 6-0 and 8-0 makes it harder to climb over the boards, but
this was the first Pooley-coached game I can ever recall seeing one player
carrying into the zone while four teammates coasted in the neutral zone.
Very disturbing.

- Bill Schneller

At times last Saturday night the Friars just plain gave up. More than once

Coach Paul Pooley juggled the lineup after the 6-0 loss to BC Friday
night, but changed it back during practice this week. The Friars are at
UMass-Lowell tomorrow night for the last game at Tully Forum as UML
will move into the new Tsongas Arena next week. PC is host to the
RiverHawks at 7 p.m. on Saturday.