From:
Craig Lisko <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 22 Jan 1998 12:57:15 -0500
Of course as many of you have said there is a line between physical
interference in a game and psychological interference. The psychological in
my mind is great, and all for it.

From where I stood let me tell you what works in terms of distracting
goalies.

 While all fans are interested in harrassing the goaltenders, most of the
stuff doesn't work.
If the goaltender is level-headed and has strong concentration, he probably
won't notice most of what is going on around him. I can honestly say that
while playing with 5000-8000 fans, it is very easy not to hear them. Waving
arms, signs, and the like for the most part are ineffective to a
level-headed goaltender. Thus the key word. Take a former partner of mine.
All you had to do was mention his name from the crowd, count yourself the
winner, he was done for the rest of the game.

As most people know goaltenders are the lifeline to most teams.Play bad and
you are assured of losing. Play good and you can still run the risk of
losing.  They way I always considered fans was like this: Are they going to
have an impact on the number of shots, the quality shots, or the way I
play?  My answer was always no.

Not to say that some fans are funny, and great to be around, but for when I
was playing, I had  a job to do, and knew what was expected.

OK, I have a question to pose to all of you.

If a goaltender comes out of his net to play the puck (as a defensemen
would) should they be considered "fair-game".

I think that they should be. Here are my "ground rules":

1.) If a goaltender plays the puck from behind his net, and has completed
his pass, he will not be considered fair game. (i.e.- I come behind my net,
pass it to the winger, and on my way back to the net a forward hits me.)

2.) Shall be considered fair game if he plays the puck behind his net and
has control of the puck while an attacking player arrives.

3.) Shall be considered fair game, if the goalie leaves his crease at any
time to play the puck like a forward, but is not fair game while trying to
freeze the puck. (Goalies have strict rules now as to where and how they
may freeze the puck.)

I've always thought that goaltenders are sometimes given too much
"protection" from the rule book and referees. If these suggestions were
implemented, how many goalies would start staying in their crease???

Craig Lisko
Ferris State 1990-1994