From:
Eric Rickin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 18 Jan 1992 17:04:27 -0500
BG Standout Says Trip Challenging

By Don Friedman; The Plain Dealer, Thursday, January 9, 1992

     Brian Holzinger is back at Bowling Green State University, ready to suit
up for two weekend hockey games against Lake Superior State College.  But what
a holiday break he had.
     Holzinger, former Padua High School All-Scholastic, returned Sunday night
from two weeks in Switzerland and Germany, where he played for the United
States in the World Junior Hockey Championships.  The U.S. team won five of
seven games and finished third in the eight-team, round-robin tournament in
Fussen and Kaufbeuren, Germany.
     Holzinger said he scored one goal and had two assists, but he also said
there was confusion among the referees.  He said he should have been credited
with a couple more assists.
     "It definitely was the most challenging tournament I have ever played in,
he said.  "The players were outstanding, the teams were so equal and the games
so close.  All of our games came down to the wire.  All of them were won or
lost in the final 10 minutes.
     "A team that went by the initials CIS won the tournament.  It was the
Russian team and they wore Russian uniforms.  They definitely were the best
players
     "Canada had some pro players from the NHL.  Most European teams had at
least one (player) that played European pro hockey.  Almost all of the
European teams played together the year round, while our team and Canada were
put together for only three weeks."
     Holzinger said the tournament took place at a scenic setting in the
mountains, but aside from a 2 1/2-hour tour to a castle in Germany, there was
practically no time for sightseeing.  He was surprised to find the swimming
and shower facilities shared by both sexes.
     The United States defeated Finland, Germany, Switzerland, Canada and
Czechoslovakia and lost to the Russians and Sweden.  Sweden finished second.
     Holzinger arrived at his Parma home Sunday night and opened his Christmas
presents.  He returned to Bowling Green yesterday.
     "It was  my first foreign travel," he said.  "It was a great experience.
It brought out the best in everyone, coaches included.  I would like a couple
of more days off, but I'll take the two."
--
[log in to unmask] (Eric Rickin)
Go: Penguins, Red Wings, Jr. Barons, Thunderbirds, and Cavs!