From:
"John T. Whelan" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
John T. Whelan
Date:
Sat, 17 Jan 1998 22:07:52 -0700
Greg Berge writes:

>Well, I got to see Cornell play and we wound up on the short end of a 3-2 o.
>t. decision at Lynah.  Cornell has now lost twice at home -- both times in o
>.t. in league games.

        And the last two home games is a row.

>The Big Red have dropped 4 consecutive league games to go 4-4-1, and it is
>beginning to look like a tough a second half.

        Cornell is 4-0-1 in games I've attended this year, and 0-4-0
in the ECAC games I've missed.  Maybe I should get the team to comp me
some tickets and charter me a Lear jet. :-)

>This was a great game to watch, with both Breznavich and Elliott the twins
>starts of the game, truning away numerous point blank chances.

        And good to see Larry "Frank" Pierce get his third goal in two
games, although he couldn't quite cut off the breakaway from the
blueline on the game-winner in OT.  That's not intended as a slight,
since I have no idea how far he had to skate before entering the
picture a few strides too late.

>The Lynah crowded sounded fantastic on the EMPIRE broadcast.

        We also got a good closeup of HOCKEY-Ler Larry Weintraub '98
playing the sax in his red and white warpaint.  That alone makes me
wish I'd arranged a videotaping beforehand.

        I only got to hear the very beginning before we got bumped to
a TV with no sound.  (Well, it would allegedly have meant bumping the
canned music off the central sound system; what is with sports grills
in Utah anyway?)  But had an amusing audio moment when they came back
from commercial into the national anthem with both teams lined up
along the blueline.  Utah forward Matt Groesbeck '00 (none of my
fellow Cornellians were in attendance) turned to me and said, "We
should all line up for the anthem like that."  I said, "Listen to what
they're playing: '...with glowing hearts, we see thee rise, the True
North strong and free....'"  We then also got to hear the shouted
"RED" in the Star Spangled Banner"; not too loud on TV, but clearly
audible.

        I have to say the Faithful betrayed me once, in the second
period after Cornell had tied it at two and gone back on the attack.
Without the sound, I speculated that the crowd must be really fired
up.  The camera then went to a couple of bored-looking folks in
Section A.  D'oh!

>Oregon people did not know what the f--- to make of there being college
>hockey, let alone 5 people paying attention to it.

        Utah people were pretty oblivious.  But we're working on the
college hockey angle here.  (When passing out Skating Utes fliers
after last night's IHL Utah Grizzlies game, my mantra was "College
Hockey ... University of Utah.  University of Utah, College
Hockey...")

>A very tough loss, but the Red (and the Red Raiders for that matter) played
>like champs.  The teams meet for game number 3 up in Hamilton, with Cornell
>attempting to rebound for a split of the series 1-1-1.

        And hopefully use the series as an emotional momentum builder
as in years past.  (Hey, we can't underachieve against Army or
overachieve against Michigan this year, so this is the time to get
things rolling.)
                                         John Whelan, Cornell '91
                                     Official Scorer/PA Announcer
                                        U of Utah Ice Hockey Club