From:
Robb Newman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 31 Dec 1997 09:35:14 -0500
Summarized from the Burlington Free Press:

After graduating 9 seniors and virtually all of their "blue chip" talent,
UVM was dealt another blow last week, when junior defender Simon Tremblay
and freshman forward Jonathan Roy decided to quit the team to play major
junior hockey.

According to Mike Gilligan (UVM head coach), Tremblay gave "the usual
reasons" - number of games, not being distracted by classes - for leaving
the team. This drops UVM's blue line corps to six members, only two of whom
have seen game time prior to this season (41 games for junior Jason Reid, 1
game for junior Alec Roomet).  Effectively, this means that UVM is now
skating one junior and five freshmen on defense.  Ouch.

It seems that Roy had been discussing leaving ever since he arrived.  Roy
had told the coaches that if he weren't playing by the end of the semester,
he would leave.  He hadn't seen a single shift of ice time, so he left.

Due to holiday break, I haven't seen any of my usual UVM hockey contacts,
but I can't imagine that this development will bolster the already sagging
booster/alumni support for Mike Gilligan.  Too bad - as a Cornell fan, I'd
like to see Gilligan coaching at Vermont forever!

Let's go Red!

Robb Newman