From:
Garrett Lanzy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Garrett Lanzy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Dec 1997 00:41:10 -0500
Just to add to Derek and Glen's comments (with which I
agree, even if they came from MSU fans! :-)...

This was overall the most exciting GLI in several years, because all
of the games were close.  I'm pleased to hear that Fox had such wide
coverage, because I think the tournament provided an *excellent*
view of what college hockey is all about, and hopefully some people
who've never seen "our sport" before were able to enjoy it.

That said -- congrats to Michigan State.  The Spartans simply outplayed
Michigan Tech and Michigan, and deserve the title.  I fully expect that
I'll be seeing them again in Boston for the Phrozen Phour.

From Richard H's ECAC POTW post:

> ECAC/Bauer Rookie of the Week
>
> Eric Anderson (St. Lawrence)
> Forward (Plymouth, Michigan)
>         Anderson returned to his home state and tallied two goals and four
> points in the Great Lakes Invitational.  He scored twice against Michigan
> Tech and a pair of assists against Michigan.

I certainly didn't see any other games involving ECAC teams this weekend,
but I think this is an excellent choice.  I'm sure that playing in front of a
"home crowd" helps (for anyone that doesn't know, Plymouth is a suburb
of Detroit), but Eric's play really impressed me.  I haven't followed the
Saints this year, but they played far better hockey than I would have
expected from their record.  Just a little more development as a team,
and the rest of the ECAC better watch out at tournament time.

Garrett Lanzy (Michigan Tech '84)