From:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mark Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Dec 1997 01:03:16 -0500
1st period
 1:49 P RPI  Battaglia cross-check
 2:48 G LSSU (1-0) George(Blaznek,Fuss)  ppg
 3:04 P RPI  Bryan Tapper high-stick
 3:04 P LSSU Vince high-stick
 3:22 P LSSU Laviolette interference
 4:34 G RPI  (1-1) Gardiner (Aldous,Pothier) ppg
 5:14 P RPI  Brad Tapper  10 minute misconduct
 5:14 P LSSU Fuss  10 minute misconduct
 5:51 P LSSU Wynes hooking
11:06 P RPI  Gardiner roughing
14:42 P LSSU Laviolette roughing
17:17 P RPI  Brad Tapper interference
19:31 P LSSU George tripping

saves Prekaski(RPI) 12
      Galatiuk(LSSU) 13

2nd period
 2:11 P RPI  Battaglia interference
 7:38 P RPI  Gardiner  roughing (4 minutes)
 7:38 P LSSU Wynes     roughing (4 minutes)
10:16 P LSSU Lambeth  tripping + 10 minute misconduct
11:13 P RPI  Gosselin holding
11:13 P RPI  Battaglia roughing
11:13 P LSSU Praznik high-stick
11:13 P LSSU Laviolette roughing
13:41 P RPI  Murphy high-stick
13:41 P LSSU Keup high-stick
13:41 P LSSU Slukynsky high-stick
15:14 P LSSU Fuss roughing
15:14 P RPI  Brad Tapper roughing
16:33 P LSSU Blaznek slashing
16:33 P LSSU bench minor  unsportsmanlike conduct
17:12 G LSSU (2-1) Marchant    shorthanded goal (5 on 3)
20:00 P RPI  Caley slashing

save Prekaski(RPI)  18
     Galatiuk(LSSU) 14

3rd period
 7:10 G LSSU (3-1) Marchant(Laviolette)
12:40 P LSSU  Blaznek  holding

saves Prekaski(RPI)  8
      Galatiuk(LSSU) 8

total saves  Prekaski(RPI) 38
               Galatiuk(LSSU) 35

My comments: first let me vent on the LSSU style of play. I don't
believe that hockey should be a non-contact sport. I don't like
the fighting but I like a hard hitting, hard checking, defensive
style. What I didn't like about LSSU tonight was their cheapness
and their petty viciousness. On numerous occasions, they would throw
cheap cross checks aginst RPI high across the neck in the corners. On
numerous occasions, you could see the Lakers watching for the refs
to turn away from them and throw cheap punches or elbows against
RPI players along the boards. I am a veteran of 30 years of watching
college hockey and I know this happens all the time but tonight it just
happened too much. I'm known for giving an opposing team the benefit
of the doubt but this happened so often tonight that it really
soured my opinion of the LSSU hockey program.

And the sad part is that Lake State didn't need to play like that.
They had the speed and the size to have won the game by playing
it straight.  I thought that RPI and LSSU matched up well on offense
but the defense made the difference. The Laker defensemen used their
speed and strength in digging the pucks out of the corners and
getting the pucks up to their breaking forwards. This style kept the
RPI defensemen back on their heels after several breakaways in the 1st
period. Only some brilliant stops by Prekaski kept the scoring down.
By the 2nd period, RPI defensemen had to play back to prevent the
breakaways and left the forwards in deep to fend for themselves.

In addition, the Laker defense used their muscle to keep the slot clear
in front of Galatiuk. He let up a lot of dangerous rebounds but the
Laker defense kept the RPI forwards tied up so they couldn't get off
any quality rebound shots.

Despite the cheapness of LSSU, they were the better team tonight and
deserved to win the championship.

Tournament all-stars
G LSSU  Rob Galatiuk
D LSSU  Tyler Palmer
D RPI   Bryan Tapper
F LSSU  Terry Marchand
F LSSU  Joe Blaznek
F RPI   Eric Healey

Tournament MVP
LSSU Ted Laviolette

Usually, the all-star selection committee goes out of its way to
recognize quality players on the 3rd and 4th place teams. This is the
first year that no member of both the third and fourth place team was
not represented on the all-star team.  IMHO, Yale and Army played
so miserably both games that there was no member of either team
that deserved to be recognized as a tournament all-star. That is not
to say that there are no quality players on Army or Yale. It's just
that no-one from either team played well either night.

Next up: 2 days rest and off to Yale Friday night and Princeton Saturday

Mark Lewin
RPI - class of '69