From:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Erik Biever <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Dec 1997 14:25:55 -0600
John Haeussler writes:

>  *  And, not on the GLI, but...MSU's wins in the Icebreaker should
>count every bit as much as their wins in the GLI.  No if's, and's or
>but's.  Just like Michigan's win over Minnesota in the Hall of Fame
>game.  These games were NOT exhibitions.  From day one they've
>been presented as regular-season non-conference contests that
>were granted exemptions from the NCAA 34-game limit.  It will be
>a travesty if the NCAA rules that these games "don't count."  As far
>as I know, they have not yet made such a ruling and these games
>should be included in the respective records of the teams when
>polls and ratings are reported.  The cries of Jack Parker, Doug
>Woog and others are reminiscent of Shawn Walsh not realizing
>that taking money from the boosters while he was suspended was
>wrong.  These are intelligent individuals.  Personally, I find their
>feigning of ignorance/innocence quite appalling.

OK, I'm puzzled.  I haven't heard any quotes from Doug Woog on the subject;
perhaps they haven't been reported in our local media.  I think that the
NCAA needs to decide, once and for all, the status of the Hall of Fame
game.  Minnesota has participated in several of them in recent years, and
*none* have been recorded as regular-season, non-conference contests.  I
won't argue whether they should "count" or not, as I think we agree.  I'm
pretty sure that the only Hall of Fame game that ever "counted" was the
Michigan-BU game of 1995.  If the NCAA wants to clarify the status of the
Hall of Fame game, that's fine, but that decision should be made and
announced in the off-season.

Also, while I'm on my soapbox, I think that the comments about Jack Parker
and Doug Woog are cheap shots that are not germane to the matter at hand.

-- Erik

Erik Biever
Go Gophers! Ski-U-Mah!