From:
"Cheryl A. Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cheryl A. Morris
Date:
Mon, 29 Dec 1997 17:01:53 -0500
On Sun, 28 Dec 1997, Tony Buffa wrote:

> Obligatory college hockey content:  any chance RPI might consider going to
> an alternating year on its Christmas tourney?  That is, holding it as
> usual one year and then allowing the team to go to a different tournament
> in other years?
  This might be considered heresy, but it might be a chance for more wider
> exposure for the team.  In the LA Times, I saw scores for all the
> tournaments, EXCEPT the RPI one :-(
>
> Any people close to the scene with any comments?

This will NEVER happen, for the following reasons.

1. $$$$$$$$$$$$--Half-full Houston Fieldhouse = $ for the Athletic
Program.

2. RPI would have to play someone good.  The AD's appararent reticence for
scheduling any NC team with a substantial winning record has become the
rule.  Don't look to see the Engineers in Madison or Minneapolis, the
powers to be or quite happy to continue with their present formula of one
patsy, one ECAC team and a mid-level CCHA team, thus providing the
Engineers with a good opportunity to refill the trophy case.

3. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$--Same reason the tourney won't migrate to the
Knick/Pepsi.

Look to see the results of the RPI/Marine Midland Tournament tonight.
First game is at 5, RPI at 8:30.
Brian Morris                 RPI Engineers--Back to winning?