Date:
Fri, 26 Dec 1997 13:26:18 -0700
What a great year for thus lil' ol tournament out here in the Rockies. 3 of
the top 10 teams (specifially 3, 6, and 8) will be in my backyard.

This tournament is HUGE -- and in my opinion, the biggest tournament and
set of games until the tournament comes knockin. All four teams would
REALLY like to win this tournament; one to make its stamp as the best in
the country, two to show that they belong and should be expected in Boston,
and one to show the world that they can't be counted out just yet.

Wahooooo!

Before I ramble on with my silly opinions, if anybody feels like meeting
between games on either day for a bite or a beer, zip me a line.

Tigers v Wildcats

Colorado College:
I've seen em play a bunch of times this season, and from what I've seen it
looks like they'll be a strong possibility for the final four this year. As
long as they don't have any more injuries or other problems that would keep
some key skaters (or perhaps more importantly, goaltenders) off the ice,
you can guarantee Colorado College will define the "bracket of death" for
this years tournament. ANY team who gets lumped into the same bracket for a
final four berth will have a real tough time. According to Frank on USCHO,
Colorado College will be like El Nino this year -- not around in March.
Guess what, Frank? The scientists at NCAR (national center for atmospheric
research, here in Boulder) all agree that El Nino won't really affect the
Rockies unitl March. Go Tigers!

New Hampshire:
Unfortunately I haven't been able to yet see this scoring maelstrom play on
either live or on TV (damn you, NESN), but I think I can live flame-free by
saying that UNH is arguably the most dangerous team in the nation. Maybe
they're not ranked the highest, but they've proven they can skate with the
best -- a 1-1-1 record with BU this season is clear proof of that.
Additionally, moreso than BU, MSU, or any other team, they've bolstered
their growing year-after-year repuration of being able to EXPLODE! at any
time, and knock three or four pucks through your 'tenders legs within a few
minutes. I really can't see any weaknesses with this team, although they
certainly can rack up the penalty minutes with the best of 'em.

Comments:
I don't care what people on this list say about polls. Umile and his squad
will (most likely) be playing TWO of the best teams in the country this
weekend, on successive nights -- one against a strong home crowd. With BU
inactive until Tuesday (and playing Princeton), it's clear that by winning
this tournament -- especially if they win it over Miami -- that UNH will
pocket a few more first-place votes in the polls, but more importantly,
establish a presence of dominance that will hold them all the way through
their likely appearance at the New Garden.However, the exact same
sentiments can be thrown in for the Tigers. They've got a chance to beat
what many consider to be the best team in the country, along with another
hot team or their crosstown rivals. For those who haven't been out here for
the tournament, I can tell you that the Denver Cup has become a VERY big
deal for both CC and DU. The imporance of winning your "hometown
tournament" aside, this weekend can prove to be a major turning point for
the Tigers.

Prediction:
It'll be REAL tough for UNH to pull this one out against CC, but I think
that the Blue will emerge victorious and continue on to hoist the Denver
Cup. Mind you this should prove to be a very, very tough game -- I expect
the lead to change once or twice, a good amount of power play
opportunities, and a lot of very, very   F A S T   action up and down the
ice. I'd predict that CC will lead 1-0 and perhaps even 3-1, but it'll be
UNH pulling away in the third with a 5-3 or 6-4 victory. Too much O on the
'Cats, not enough D for the Tigers.

Pioneers v. Redhawks

Denver:
I've seen them play a few times this year, and I'm sorry to say that I
ain't seen much. Nobody can truly be faulted -- when Gwozdecky moved from
Miami to Denver he lost most of DU's incoming hot prospects, including one
to CC (Calivin Elfring, methinks), when the players chose to change their
commitments under the NCAA's ruling regarding coaching changes. This has
left Denver a bit depleted this year, but many critics said the Pioneers
were expected to have a slow, rebuilding season last year -- and they wound
up one overtime away from the Frozen Four. Regardless, this team has hit
the ropes hard this year, winning only 4 games thus far, including a sweep
at Nebraska-Omaha which tipped off a 7-game slide (three weekend sweeps).
This slide ended however, with a 6-0 pummeling of the Tigers at home (after
a 9-1 loss to them the night before). An uneven team without any proven
game-breakers, they could really use Anders Bjork to step up right about
now. Freshman Mark Rycroft has also showed great flashes of talent, and
could step up with a 4 point performance to lead his team to victory.
perhaps the biggest question question with the Pionners is their
goaltending -- although the Sophomore played capably at stopper last
season, the departure of Jim Mullin has really hurt the defensive core of
this team. While the other teams are looking at improving their standing in
the national picture, this tournament could prove a very emotional turning
point in the season for the Pioneers, who have a long, tough season in the
WCHA ahead of them.

Miami:
Like UNH, I haven't been able to see them at all, whether live or on TV.
Unlike UNH however, I haven't found too much to read about them (not too
much H-L representation, and little attention from USCHO). I'm actually
looking forward to seeing the Redhawks play as I haven't seen them in
person in about 6 years, when I was last in Oxford. Looking at the numbers,
my opinion about this team would be that they should be very, very happy
with their #6 ranking -- their schedule hasn't been that tough (they
haven't played Michigan yet, and split a weekend at home against Northern
Michigan). This is not say that they're overrated -- rather that they've
been relatively untested. Another look at the numbers shows they've got
some serious firepower there in Ohio -- which would certainly make a
UNH-Miami matchup a fun one to watch. This weekend is an obvious chance for
Miami to prove they belong at the top, and prove they deserve more than
just a sidelong glance by the media. The question with this team here
though is consistency; 2 of their losses came against Ohio State and Lake
State. For what it's worth, I think the power/respectability of the CCHA
hangs greatly on their performance in this tournament as well.

Comments/Precition:
This is the first time that Gwozdecky has led Denver against Miami since he
left the Redhawks -- but more interestingly is that he will have a chance
to see his last and best recruiting class from Miami all grown up. Most
likely these recruits will do him both pride and pain as they stuff 7 or 8
pucks in through Denver's pair of sophomore stoppers. However, Denver does
have a chance if they limit Miami's quality shots and Wagner or Henrich use
up one of their miracle cards that all goaltenders seem to have at least a
couple of in their decks, and Bjork, Comrie, and Rycroft forecheck
aggressively. If they can keep it a one-goal game going into the third,
they should be able to pull it out. However, I expect a huge first period
out of Miami, and a 7-2 victory to lead them into a battle with UNH on Sunday.

greenie
S P O O N  ! !
(go BU)

Since BU dropped football, does that mean Silber fumbled?
Real grass at Nickerson for the *real* football! Yippee!