From:
"Bret R. Marr" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 24 Dec 1997 16:03:53 -0500
Jerry Sneirson wrote:

> Michigan State hasn't played BU,BC or UNH. 3 of top 4 scorers in college hockey are UNH players, some of whom have missed games due to inuury.
-----------
Ahh, excuse me.  Even though Jack Parker doesn't think the game counts,
MSU beat BU in the Icebreaker opener in early October.  I've noticed the
discussion has died down on whether or not the tournament should have
counted in the standings and pairwise calculations, but I hope it heats
up again sometime after the new year.  MSU was under the assumption that
it was a regular tournament and counted, just like the Badger Showdown,
Great Lakes Invitational, etc.

However, if someone knows the definitive answer to whether the games
from the Great Western Freeze Out from years past counted then maybe
I'll back off a bit.  Otherwise, the games should be counted from the
Icebreaker.

> Wong's rating system needs more study before publishing it, unless it is
> intended as a joke.
--------
As far as the validity of this poll.  I assume he's got a little bit of
a western bent to him or he's just having fun, I assume the latter. But
it's not fair to rip at MSU, or UM for that matter, because this guy
thinks they should be ranked higher.

Bret Marr
East Lansing, MI