From:
Patrick Carr <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Patrick Carr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 1997 16:26:24 -0500
On Friday, December 19, 1997, Jim Love wrote:

> > It took only seven seconds into the game for [Harvard goal-keeper O.]
> > Jonas to get a rude awakening.  As he roamed behind the net to stop a
> > Northeastern dump-in, the puck deflected into his empty net. Referee Jim
> > Fitzgerald, however, ruled that an official's skate had been responsible
> > for the redirection, and disallowed the goal.
>
>   OK, rules gurus - let's see/read the chapter and verse :-)

In the USA Hockey rulebook it's 614(e), "If a goal is scored as a result
of a puck being deflected directly into the goal from an Official, the
goal shall not be allowed." There's a chart at
"http://www.ihonc.com/rulediff.htm" listing differences between USA, NCAA,
and high school rules and that rule's not listed, so I conclude it's the
same (although I don't know about the number).

The ensuing faceoff is at the nearest end-zone spot of the goal it
entered no matter where the puck touches the official. If the puck
deflects off an official and then off any other obstruction (like the
boards or another player, but not the posts), the goal is allowed.

Pat Carr
Cornell '96