From:
"Edward N. Moller" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 18 Dec 1997 16:14:59 -0800
On Thu, 18 Dec 1997 08:59:55 -0500 Joseph M LaCour wrote:

> >Does anyone know of any package deals for the NCAA tourney?  I have =
> >called about hotels and airfare and the prices are incredibly high.  =
> >Thanks
> ===
> If you have Southwest airlines, fly into Providence, RI for dirt cheap
> and then rent a car.
>
> Another Boston trick....use mass transit.  Find a hotel near a "T" line
> on the outskirts and take the train into town.  OR, do what I'm doing.
> Stay around Lowell and take Rt 2 in to the Last station on the Red line
> (All<something>) and take that to the Fleece Center (after a change in
> trains).

If you plan on staying within the city limits, DO NOT RENT A CAR.  You
will be unable to park it anywhere other than your hotel.  Boston is
extremely accessible via public transportation, with parking spaces
limited and over-priced.  Parking at the Fleet Center runs around $15
(Fleece Center is an apropos nickname).  I believe you can get a limo
service from Green Airport to Boston, or else transfer to Amtrak in
Providence to Boston.

> There's also real trains as opposed to subways.  There is a website for
> MBTA trains and such, but I forgot the URL.

        http://www.mbta.com

Oddly enough, the Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority is a government
agency with a commercial domain.  Another great web site is:

        http://www.boston.com

Traveler's advisory!  Boston is undergoing substantial construction,
leaving Logan Airport and downtown areas looking much like Dresden circa
1945.  It is hoped that the Central Artery Project (aka the Big Dig)
will be completed by the time BU reinstates its football program.

The Fleet Center announced in today's Boston Globe that general public
tickets for the Phinal Phour are sold out.

I'm not a travel agent, but I play one on this list.  Feel free to ask
me questions.

--
Edward N. Moller
Controller