From:
Craig Lisko <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 1997 15:05:55 -0500
I think the point that is trying to be made by several parties is the
simple difference between control of the puck versus possession of the
puck.

I agree that a goaltender who stops a shot and "controls" the rebound takes
skill, but this does NOT constitute possession or control of the puck in
terms of the whistle being blown. The goaltender must freeze the puck. An
earlier post said that this is a discretionary call, and I agree, but
referees who do not understand this rule shouldn't be doing college hockey!

Possession of the puck, in my opinion, is when a goaltender freezes the
puck, or makes an attempt to shoot the puck like a player would. It is not
possession when a goaltender uses his stick to make a save.

Possession by a player on the other hand, in my opinion, is when the player
has control of the puck, not slashing or chopping at the puck, but enough
possession to either shoot or pass the puck to an intended location (be it
a player, or dumping it off the boards).

I think we all can see how literal a rule boook would have to be in order
to accommodate every rule scenario. But after all, if the rule book was as
such, who would all you yell at?

Craig Lisko
Ferris State 1990-1994