From:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Karen/Greg Ambrose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 20:50:02 -0500
First, let me say that, regardless of the records of the two teams, BU-BC
*is* the greatest college hockey rivalry in the country.  Evidence?  BC,
despite having a good team this year (which should be enough incentive for
the habitual front runners at Chestnut Hill) has been drawing squat at
Conte Forum.  Until Sunday afternoon, that is,  when the place was full
with screaming fans despite the fact that the Patriots were on TV vs.
Jacksonville.  More evidence?  As Ed Moller noted the crowd last night at
Walter Brown was the loudest it's been since . . ., well, the last BU-BC
game!  Final evidence.  The game was so big that network TV's premier
sportscaster, Sean McDonough, was doing the play-by-play along with his old
buddy from the NESN days, Bob Norton.  It must have been a BIG game!

As for the game itself, it was classic college hockey.  Not like the pros
who have the calculated rought stuff and intimidation.  Just pure emotion
for 60 (actually 65) minutes. It looked from my vantage point (in front of
the 27" screen) that BC had the better of the transition play most of the
night.  However, they could not capitalize because of BU's excellent
defensive play.  BC failed to win because of the big play, the the tieing
goal by Sylvia.  Obvious point, eh?

Let me explain.  Here we are at the end of the game, just over a minute to
go and BU has pulled their goalie for a 6-on-4 and has a face-off in the BC
end.  Coach York has to know that if BU wins the draw the will get a great
shot on net because of the two man advantage.  So why not just neutralize
the face-off instead of winning it?  Isn't the goal in this situation to
prevent the other team from winning face-off, not winning it yourself?  If
BC had neutralized the face-off, there probably would have been a scrum in
the face-off circle, or in the corner, which would have given BC enough
time to gain their skater back or, better yet, get the puck out of the
zone.  Prior to the face-off Norton speculated that BC might call time out
(just after BU had already done so) to discuss their defensive strategy.
Unfortunately for the Eagle fans, they didn't.

Final word:  Eastern college hockey is a hell of a lot more exciting when
both BC and BU are near the top.  I can hardly wait for the Beanpot (even
though it's in the Fleece Center)!

Greg Ambrose, UNH '72
GO UNH BLUE!!!!
JASON KROG (NATION'S LEADING SCORER) FOR HOBEY BAKER!!!!