From:
Garrett Lanzy <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Garrett Lanzy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 22:25:21 -0500
Anthony Frolik <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, Charlie Shub wrote:
[...]
>> One can conjecture that if you are a WCHA team domiciled anywhere but
>> the central time zone, you have swept the gophers at the new mariucci.
>> Otherwise, you haven't
>
>I hate to pick nits, but isn't the UP of Michigan in the Eastern Time
>Zone?  This would mean that Michigan Tech and Northern Michigan, well, not
>any more, would have swept the Gophs at home.  If not, then I'm just
>making an a*s of myself.

Don't worry, Tony, you've escaped (mostly) unscathed.  :-)

Most of the U.P. is in the Eastern time zone (with the exception of 4
counties on the Michigan-Wisconsin border).  Houghton is about
50 miles inside the Eastern time zone.  (For the geographically
uninformed, Houghton is further west than Chicago... which means
that it doesn't get dark until 10:30pm in late June, and sunrise in late
December is somewhere around 8:45!)  Of course, our friends in
Alaska (who the Huskies will be visiting this weekend) don't find
either situation to be unusual.

Obligatory College Hockey Content:

I'm beginning to think that I need to start betting in Vegas based
on MTU's scheduling for the Great Lakes Invitational.  Last year,
Tech played Michigan in the first round, when Michigan was the
#1 rated team in the country.  This year, the Huskies play Michigan
State... and it looks likely that the Spartans will be the #1 rated team.
Time for a major upset, guys!!!

Garrett Lanzy (Michigan Tech '84, Nip 'em up in Alaska this weekend!)