From:
Eric Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Nov 1997 22:50:29 -0900
Robert Downes wrote:

> At this weekend's series between Bowling Green and Alaska-Fairbanks
> Matt
> Shegos called two very questionable penalties within the last minute
> of
> play on UAF

Kevin McNeill was sent off for charging with 23 seconds left in in a
then 4-4 tie in Friday's game.  I didn't see what prompted the call on
that one.  Jeff Trembecky was whistled for holding the stick on a
faceoff in the UAF defensive zone with 42 seconds left in a 2-2 tie on
Saturday.  He sort of quickly spun the Falcon player around with the
stick.  That seemed marginal given what Shegos let go at other times.
It was assistant referee John Nowosatka who was apparently sent up by
CCHA for the weekend as understudy who called Trembecky for slashing
well behind the play with 32 seconds left in the overtime.  Shegos then
sent him to the locker room with a 10 minute misconduct call when he was
upset by the penalty.

These penalties are an interesting example of what you wouldn't see
without the detailed penalties in the game summaries.  I can't remember
seeing any game here previously where penalties carried over into
overtime.  You wouldn't see that UAF had 1:37 of penalty time to carry
over into the overtime on Friday.  Fortunately, Shegos whistled Bonvie
of the Falcons for slashing just 28 seconds into overtime when he was
forced to stop a shorthanded breakaway.  You also wouldn't see that
Wynia's game winner was scored just exactly when the 4x4 play ended and
McNeill was released from the penalty box for what was called a power
play goal.  Very similar on Saturday with 1:18 of penalty time carried
over into overtime and then another 32 seconds at the end of the
overtime.

You also wouldn't see just how closely Shegos made interference calls,
but that's another issue.

Eric Carlson