From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 1992 16:37:27 GMT
This morning, Dale Arnold of WEEI radio reported that Mike Dunham was named
the first member of the 1992 US Olympic Team.  I don't know how Dunham did
Saturday night (he lost 5-0 Fri), but apparently his two-game stint was
enough to convince Dave Peterson to name him to the team.  That leaves two
goaltenders and 22 players to go.

As I mentioned before, Shawn Walsh told me that Dunham was to return to Maine
Monday one way or the other per their agreement that allowed Dunham to leave
Maine for the tryout, so I expect to see him at Merrimack on Friday although
I don't know which dufflebag will start, Dunham or Snow.

I got the impression that Dunham would be joining the US team just before the
Games.  If this is incorrect, I hope someone will clarify.  Dunham was named
the top goaltender at the World Junior tourney in Germany a few weeks ago
which gave the US staff reason to believe that he would be able to do the job.
I initially believed Dunham was projected as the 1994 goalie, but with no one
else playing well enough to take the job, I guess they believed they had to
go with someone who has proven himself in international competition lately.

As for the revolving door policy Carol talked about, it is true that this
gives the team an air of complete recklessness and it is contrary to past
policy where Team USA has not encouraged these players to suddenly become
available and join the team.  But at the same time, I do believe that
especially with the way things have changed in international hockey, Peterson
almost has no choice but to take the better players who become available.
This is the way other countries like Canada and Finland are approaching it,
and Peterson really has to look at all available players in order to keep pace.

His job, first and foremost, is to win a gold medal.  A couple of weeks ago
on College Hockey USA (Carol & I talked about this), Clark Donatelli said
that although this has been happening (players coming in and replacing others
who had been there for a while), that's the way it goes in the pros, we're all
adults and so we need to deal with it (something like that).  Of course, that
is easier for him to say since he is one of the "newer" players, but it is
true nonetheless.

All of this aside, I'm not happy with the job Peterson has done and I fear
another disappointing finish.  Of course, that will open the door for Shawn
Walsh in 1994.  But even though I'm afraid Peterson has produced a team that
will underachieve yet again, I'll still be rooting for them and if they do
well, I'll admit I was wrong.

- mike