From:
"Bret R. Marr" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 1997 23:12:32 -0500
A very good hockey game, at least from this Spartan's point of view.  I
realize the list has been engrossed over the last two weeks about the
accuracy of game reports, so I'll just give my biased summary.  Besides
I left my pen in the car and didn't feel like walking back to get it.

MSU started off to a quick lead with a goal from Senior Center Sean
Berens within the first five minutes.  Mike O'keefe and Brody
Brandstatter assisted.  (This was Brandstatter's first official game as
a Spartan rear-guard.  He grew up in East Lansing so I'm sure it meant a
lot to him.)  MSU kept the pressure on early and I was a bit suprised to
see Wisconsin on their heels.  State got their second goal off a
scramble in front with Center Mike York knocking in Freshman Sean
Patchell's initial shot to make it 2-0.  In sum, the first period was
all Michigan State with the Badgers only slightly threatening on a
couple of occasions.

In the second, I felt the Badgers held the edge over MSU.  They seemed
to be skating with a little more intensity and MSU wasn't as crisp as
they were in the first.  The best scoring chance for Wisconsin came,
oddly enough, on an MSU power play.  The Spartans were setting up the
breakout in their own zone when Berens made an extremely lazy, behind
the back pass which set up the Badgers player (I think #27, Steve
Reinprecht) alone  in the slot.  He blasted one up high, but MSU Senior
goalie Chad Alban made a nice shoulder save.

The third period was controlled by the Spartans.  Their defense was
stellar.  MSU turned it over in the neutral zone on several occasions in
transition and Alban came up with several key saves.  Intersting note
for those who will see MSU play later in the year.  I've seen all the
home games and several of the road games and I've never seen the D like
I saw tonite.  They employed the neutral zone trap.  It wasn't until the
third that they actually started using it.  It wasn't always successful,
not like the Devils in '95 or Wings last spring, but on several Badger
breakout attempts, it created turnovers and man up situations in the
Wisconsin end for MSU.

Three stars of the game were easy to pick for the sports media tonight.
Chad Alban #1, played a great game and kept the team in it.  Much like
his performance in the Icebreaker Final.  Mike York #2 star was all over
the ice with lots of nice chances.  Sean Berens #3 played good D, killed
off several penalites, and got a nice goal.

Overall, it was a good game, lots of skating (especially through the
obstruction interferences of both teams!), good D and good goalies at
both ends.  If you want the nuts and bolts of the game, visit the CCHA
homepage for the line by line:-)

Bret Marr