From:
Dean Barker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 1992 09:57:03 CST
Mankato State University President Margaret Preska announced that
they will become an NCAA Division I program beginning next season.
Mankato will play a Division I independent schedule next season, and
might seek entrance into the WCHA after four years as an independent.
That was the same time frame used by St. Cloud State when it made the
same move in the middle 1980's. Mankato passed a local 0.5% sales tax
in October, that paved the way for construction of a downtown civic
center and ice arena.

	source: St. Paul Pioneer Press (1/14)

-Dean