From:
Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ben Flickinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 17:24:07 -0500
Being a Omahan, I gotta put my 2 cents in this as well...By the way, this is
my first message to this group, so don't laugh too much. :-)

>UNO- good skating team with two high quality players - Jason White & Andrew
>Tortorella.
Also Vic Sharma, who is sidelined with a concussion, probably for at least 2
more weeks. You thought Steve Young had concussions, this guy has had 2 this
year and had several last yeare as a junior hockey player.

 Tortorella who was probably passed over by other D1 schools due
>to his stature (5'5"-listed) will probably be a real impact player.
While I'm not really sure if he was passed over or not, I do know he was
voted Most Popular Player in Omaha last year as an Omaha Lancer(USHL), so
that may have had some influence

>Goaltender Jason Mitchell had a good game and was unfortunately dqed for
>coming off the bench during an altercation.
Yeah, although Sidorik(sp?) was possibly going to start the 2nd game anyway,
the DQ just forced the issue.

>Defeneseman Sean Cavan (6'4") would have fouled out of a basketball game-
in >fairness to all the players-<stuff about referee calling everything>
I was listening on radio for most of the first and a little of the 2nd game,
he did seem to be calling it extremly tight.

>This team must be dynamite at home
Thank you, I'd like to think the home crowd has a part in that. Also, 1st
goal has been the biggest factor in UNO's first season, they're 4-0 when
scoring first, 0-6(0-7 if you include the Manitoba game) when their
opponents score first, vs 3-3(3-4 w/Manitoba game) at home and 1-3 on the road.

>and I wonder if Army is going out there next year.
not sure, but if they do, tell them there's a big difference between a 2,000
person home crowd and an 8,300 one. :-)

>I assume UNO will be looking to recruit heavily in
>the USHL and will gradually wean itself of foreign players. Hopefully this
>program will promote youth hockey in Nebraska.
Not sure on this. I know close to 50% of our team is from the USHL as is,
with 1 European player and several Canadiens. We probably will get a little
advantage in the USHL department though, having the Lancers and the 2nd year
USHL team Lincoln Stars both with sell-out streaks.