From:
William Corrigan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
William Corrigan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 1997 15:40:25 -0500
At 12:53 PM 11/11/97 -0500, you wrote:

>This was actually a Brown time-out.  Cornell pulled Elliott, and my
>suspicion is that Brown wasn't prepared for the Big Red to try that with so
>much time left in the game, so they needed to talk it over.  Cornell's
>time-out was after they had taken the lead.  This was one of the other
>unusual things about the switch in leaders; not only did both teams pull
>their goalies in this game, but both teams called time-outs when the
>*other* team had chosen to pull their goalie.

Jeff -
        I guess I do recall Jason Elliott vacating his cage and then the Bears
calling a time out with the puck in their zone.  Maybe in my selective
memory decided it would more dramatic to describe it the other way.  As it
turned out, that might have been just what the Big Red needed most  at that
juncture -- time to plan their attack around a set play when the game
resumed with an offensive zone face-off.  Had play continued with the
Cornell empty net -- who knows?

>It was actually Jeff Burgoyne who gained control in center ice and skated
>to the point... Kyle Knopp was credited with the goal because it appeared
>that Burgoyne's rising shot caromed off of Knopp's stick.

        I didn't pick up on that -- when the puck went in, it didn't seem to
matter how, only why!  I just noted the PA announcement giving credit to
Knopp.

>Those details aside, I agree that Brown played an extremely tough game.  I
>wouldn't go so far as to say that Cornell didn't "deserve" this win - after
>all, they managed an amazing comeback.

        I wouldn't either -- as a matter I fact I was uncharacteristically
effusive in my praise for the way the Big Red and the Lynah crowd found a
way to settle the issue in regulation.  I guess I felt the least Brown
"deserved" was to have an opportunity to play five minutes of overtime.
But I don't like the implication of the word, so I didn't use it in my
original post and you can strike it now if you wish.

Bill Corrigan

           1997-1998 SEASON
BROWN HOCKEY CENTENNIAL
BROWN HOCKEY CENTENNIAL