From:
"Cheryl A. Morris" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cheryl A. Morris
Date:
Sat, 1 Nov 1997 21:33:39 -0500
On Fri, 31 Oct 1997, Mark Lewin wrote:

> (I felt the call was questionable myself) but UNH took advantage of the first
> of many RPI defensive lapses when Tom Nolan scored a short handed goal from
> Jayme Filipowicz at 10:38 to pull the Wildcats within 1 goal. That goal
> seemed to rock the Engineers and you could see the momentum shift.
I thought the first goal was very soft.  Laing seeemed to have just lost
the puck.  In fact I thougyht at first it had been kicked in but
apparently a UNH player just pushed it over the line when Laing couldn't
come up with it.  Laing IMHO wasn't very sharp the entire night.  Lots of
rebounds, and more.

> behind their own net.  But rather than folding, RPI came back 15 seconds later
> to retake the lead 4-3 on a goal by Patrick Brownlee with an assist from
> Danny Riva. I missed the goal entirely as I was still writing down the UNH
> goal.
Brownlee scored on a long wrist shot from near the top and to the right of
the face-off circle.  The T-U said it was tipped, but Mark Singelais'
commentary is often lacking.

> At 14:26 UNH tied the score on a wraparound goal by Jason Krog with an
assist   from Mark Mowers. This was caused by a total defensive lapse by the
Engineers
 I thought the goal was again Laing's fault when he fell over the blue
line with the puck in his glove.  In all a very strange goal.  In fact I
mentionged to my friend, "I hope Laing was pushed".
The second period started out with UNH and RPI talking matching minors
> in his own zone. Garvers was assigned to Mowers but left him alone in the
> right slot
> to chase the puck. Tom Nolan got to it first and fed Mowers who was all alone
> and poked it past Lang with :53 seconds left to give UNH their first lead
> of the night.
> An assist was also given to Steve O'Brien.
UNH's first line scored all 5 of their goals.
> saved by the post in the third from giving up a second SHG.  Their lines of
> Healey-Garver-St. Hillaire and Battaglia-Caley-Brad Tapper have gelled so
> well that Coach Fridgen will have trouble when J.F. Gosselin returns
> (anyone know what his status is?).  They need to shore up their defense
> to play more consistently. If they can do that, they'll still be playing
> in April.  But April is a long time from now......

RPI's first line contributed nothing to the scoring.  I'm not sure if St.
Hilaire has even scored a point this year.  Looks like trouble to me.
Also Pete Gardiner looks lost out there.  I don't know if he's having
trouble playing on the 2/3 line or whatever, but he must get involved in
the offense or the Engineers will not beat a major team.  I thought
overall the offense did an OK job of moving the puck, but they must
become consistent.  Right now this team does not look like it will be
playing at the Pepsi in March.
Brian Morris              RPI Engineers--lots of work to do