Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 1997 14:25:56 -0500
     Allow me to throw my two cents in here about the college hockey
publication biz. I've subscribed to almost every one I've seen come across my
path but must say I've been pretty disappointed in most. US College Hockey
magazine is far too broad and not very well written while others like Around
the Rinks (since defunct I think) and the like are just filled with useless
boxscores and stats you can get from USCHO.
    However, there are a couple of new ones that are surprisingly very good.
The New England College Hockey Insider and Eastern College Hockey Adviser
have pretty articles and information on all the teams (one covers the ECAC
and the other Hockey East-not sure if there are WCHA or CCHA versions
available) as well as the best recruiting stuff I've been able to find
anywhere. As a fan of college hockey looking for stuff on any league I can
find (of course BC is my favorite but I'll take anything that's out there) I
find these two publications the best around right now. They are both set-up
in similar formats and have always been 12 pages (I've only been subscribing
since August) long with pictures. 18 issues a year at $45 and $55 (The ECAC
one is more expensive for some reason-maybe more teams or something) seems to
be a bargain so far. Here's hoping they don't go belly up like most of the
other publications have. I have been screwed over quite a bit by college
hockey publications but I'm pretty happy with these so far. Anyone who wants
more info on these can e-mail me or go to their websites at
www.newenglandinsider.com and www.ECHA.com. I would certainly stay away from
US College Hockey Magazine though-it's really not a very good publication.

Jerry Wood
BC '72
Go Eagles! To the Fleet in 98!