From:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Gentile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 19:48:26 -0400
>>> Adam Wodon <[log in to unmask]> 10/16/97 04:53pm
>>>
>>> This is blatantly incorrect. About half of the
>>> IHL teams are affiliated.
>>>
>>> Utah is with the Kings and Islanders, for
>>> example -- there are others --
>>> the IHL record book doesn't list the
>>> affiliations -- but there are more.
>>>
>>> AW

Kings have 6 players with Fredrickton (AHL)
4 with Springfield (AHL)
3 with Long Beach (IHL)
1 with Michigan (IHL)
and 4 with Utah (IHL)

Islanders have their players on 2 AHL teams as
well as Utah. (Jeffy Libby, Maine '96 is playing
for Kentucky in the AHL)

Looking at the depth charts for both teams, it
seems that the youth is indeed in the AHL and the
seasoned players are in the IHL ... for the most
part. Both minor leagues have equal shares of
players who were in the big league last year.

These two teams aren't really affiliated too
tightly with anyone. But, take the Bruins for
instance. All 26 players on Providence's AHL
roster are Bruin property. Yet, they have one
player on Cleveland(IHL) named Mark Cornforth.

On the other hand, the Blackhawks have 16 players
on Indianapolis (IHL) and have no players in the
AHL at all. Although, the AHL does have many more
tight affiliations (like Boston-Providence), the
issue of AHL vs. IHL isn't all that clear cut.

So, in summary, why James Evans thinks Bonin's
move to the AHL is a demotion is beyond me. Maybe
he's just trying to justify his heavily-flamed
prediction about Bonin never making the NHL. I see
him as one step closer to the NHL in light of the
fact that Pittsburgh has 8 players (5 centers,
including Bonin) on Syracuse (AHL) and the parent
club is still carrying 9 centers and only 7
wingers. (Not including holdout center Petr
Nedved)

- Paul Gentile

p.s. A point of contention yet to be made ... does
the AHL have any undrafted players like last years
gem Sergie Samsonov who played in the IHL? Respond
privately because this is clearly not college
related.