Date:
Sun, 8 Jun 1997 23:58:12 -0500
I wouldn't quite say that if men's sports are going to be cancelled, I
don't have a problem with it.  But if that's the decision men's
athletics directors make, then so be it.

I really think that minor men's sports should see football as the enemy,
not wmoen athletes.  Most of the people I discuss this with who are
involved with men's athletics don't choose to see it this way; instead,
they identify with football.  They want to see the issue as "us" (the
men) vs. "them" (the women).  If that's the way they choose to draw the
lines, then when one of the men's sports is cancelled, it's a matter of
the shoe being on the other foot.

In all of the numbers cited (even the numbers provided as an update to
the recent lawsuit), men's athletics has a significant majority of the
scholarships, non-scholarship positions and dollars.  And yet they're
whining that their getting screwed.  Welcome to the club, gentlemen.
Women athletes have felt this way for a long time.  There is a good dose
of justice involved in watching men get denied an opportunity.  Harsh
justice, perhaps even unfair justice, but justice nonetheless.

How does it feel, guys?  I wish I could say that I thought that this
situation would teach you to try to grasp how the women have felt all
these years.

J. Michael Neal