From:
Bill Fenwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 90 21:20:09 EST
Nate writes:
>Striking fear into the hearts of men like Bill Fenwick, Pierre
>Balenger has returned for a new year of officiating.

Nate, PLEASE don't say things like that -- I'm likely to burst a major
artery or something.

>First of all, to those who are wondering if Brown has found a
>replacement for graduated goalie Chris Harvey, the answer is no.  Some
>guy named Finch played the first half of the game, and did okay, two
>goals I think.  He was replaced halfway through by a guy named
>Haygood, who gave up seven goals, most which Harvey could have stopped
>with his eyes closed, which is maybe what Haygood was attempting.

This would be freshman Brett Haywood, who was actually rated one of Canada's
top goaltending prospects.  Coach Bob Gaudet was apparently counting on him
to be able to fill in right away for the departed Harvey.  Looks like
that'll be a while in coming.

Back to the main topic of conversation:
>In the third period, a Brown player got a minor.  He got in the
>penalty box, and Pierre skated over and said a few things to him.  The
>Brown player then must have uttered something WRONG, because Pierre
>immediately ejected him.  That's one.

The Brown player was likely mentioning something about our buddy Pierre's
well-known preference for sheep.  (Oops, sorry, this is a family list!)
Although Pierre often does not have the good sense to leave well enough
alone when he penalizes somebody, players should know better than to say any
of the Seven Words You Cannot Say On TV back to him.  That'll get you tossed
for unsportsmanlike conduct every time.  Belanger might have been warning
him or something.  As much as it pains me to do so, I'll give him the
benefit of the doubt on this one.

>So while this is all being sorted out, the players are milling at
>center ice, including the Brown player that must serve the minor
>penalty.  Pierre gets impatient and, from the Ontario faceoff circle,
>blows his whistle and motions for the Brown player to get in the box.
>The player sort of flicks his arm up at Pierre and skates over and
>into the box.  But Pierre, in a flash, is over at the box and WHAM,
>ejects this player too!  That's two!

Well, the guy might have been giving Pierre the finger, a move that would be
understandable in this case but which is guaranteed to earn a player an
early shower.  Or maybe Mr. Hypersensitivity only THOUGHT the guy was giving
him the finger.  Regardless, the gesture was at least disrespectful, and the
ref, whoever he is, has to be respected.  Note that I did not say he
DESERVES to be respected -- that's a whole different story.  Some do, some
don't, and I think you know my (and several other people's) opinion about
Pierre.

Okay, we can sort of explain away these first two ejections; however, this
next one...
>                        In a few minutes, another Brown player gets a
>minor for slashing.  He skates into the box and sits down.  Pierre
>skates over and just starts yelling at the guy!  This was hauntingly
>similar to Bill Fenwick's description of a Cornell game last year when
>a Cornell player (Gauvin?) got thrown out after Pierre yelled at him
>for several seconds.

It was Stephane Gauvin.  He only got a ten-minute misconduct, though.

>                      Well, Pierre is railing on this player, and
>looks as if he's DARING the player to utter something.  I saw the
>player's lips move.  WHAM!!!  Strike three, another ejection!

If the description of what happened is accurate, this performance by
Belanger is **ABSOLUTELY INEXCUSABLE**.  I can believe Nate's account
because I've seen Mr. B do this yelling and screaming act more than once.
Note the caps -- I feel very strongly about this.  A hockey referee, or an
official in any sport, is there to make sure the action doesn't get out of
control and to make sure the rules are properly enforced.  He or she is NOT
there to provoke players into arguments and then take disciplinary action
against them.  It's especially disgraceful when an official *starts* an
altercation with a player and then throws the player out of the game!
Several sports have had problems in the past (or are having problems now)
with officials who are on power trips and have become very belligerent.
Just look at the trouble that major league baseball is currently having with
some of its umpires.

If Belanger persists in deliberately provoking players and then taking
action against them, I would hope that the ECAC bounces him out on his ear.
Fat chance, though.  I think what MIGHT happen (farfetched scenario coming
up) is that he'll pull his little belligerent act on some angry hockey goon
and toss him from the game, whereupon the goon will haul off and deck him.
Two things will then happen: 1) the player will be banned from college
hockey (correctly, of course -- you can't go around hitting officials, even
if they deserve it), and 2) he will be canonized by many, many ECAC fans.
Okay, maybe I'm kidding just a little, but I'm personally getting *very*
*tired* of this guy.

Don't get me wrong -- I know officiating is a thankless job, and these guys
are never praised by anyone, only criticized. (A lot!)  But when a referee
gets so far out of control that he hollers at players and deliberately
provokes them, you have to start thinking that he belongs somewhere else.
There is NO place in the officiating ranks for that kind of behavior.

Just what the ECAC needs -- Pierre with an attitude and a short fuse.

>Maybe Pierre has something against the Ivy League?

Probably not.  Ol' Pierre is an equal opportunity shafter.  I've seen him
royally screw RPI and Clarkson a few times.

And on top of all this, Arthur writes:
>The most frightening thing about Nate's story is that Pierre Belanger
>is considered to be the BEST referee in the ECAC.

*Gag* *Cough* *Sputter*  I'd sure be interested in seeing the rating system
that comes up with THAT result!  They obviously didn't ask the fans, and
I'll bet the ECAC players and coaches would beg to differ also.

Mike Machnik has previously mentioned that Hockey East is interested in
bringing Belanger over to their league to officiate their games.  (Well,
what do you expect from a league that wanted to switch to a 50-minute game?
:-)  Pierre has apparently said "thanks, but no thanks", electing to remain
with the ECAC.  I don't know why, except that he's probably been here long
enough to get some sort of tenure/seniority, and he would probably be more
difficult to get rid of than most dictators.  Maybe this sense of security
is why he feels he can act so belligerent during games.

If you think the tone of THIS posting was bad, wait'll Belanger shows up at
Lynah.  Hoo, boy...

Bill Fenwick
Cornell '86
LET'S GO RED!!

"I love driving.  My dad gave me a car when I was 16 years old.  What a nice
 guy, huh?  Although I recently found out it was a rental car and I owe 1.5
 million dollars."
-- Peter Gaulke