From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 1992 19:07:29 GMT
Dan Glumac writes:
>Can anyone tell me why the Boston College home and away jerseys are not alike?
>The home jersey has an eagle on the front, while the away (dark) jersey just
 has
>"Boston College" on the front.

This is not that unusual.  In Hockey East alone, Northeastern and UMass-Lowell
also have different away and home jerseys.  Northeastern's home jersey has
just the Husky on the front, and the away has a smaller Husky with
"Northeastern" written above it.  UML's home has a chief on the front with
the letters "UML" in the upper right, while the away now has "Lowell" written
diagonally from left to right in New York Rangers-style (the shirt is blue).
The change to the NYR-style lettering occurred this year, previously both
home and away were similar at Lowell.

I'm not sure as to the actual reason why these teams have different home and
away jerseys.  I do like BC & Northeastern's home jerseys and Lowell's away
jersey.  Northeastern's away did not have the "Northeastern" on it until a
few years ago, although the women's jerseys did.  Right after the change, it
looked like the men had borrowed the women's jerseys - very interesting.

For Buddy Powers' first year, RPI maintained the letters "RPI" on the front
of the away jerseys but changed the home jersey to the current version which
has the "puck guy" on it; I was told the intention was to remove all traces
of the old coach.  BTW, that old coach, Mike Addesa, has a son (Chris) now
playing net for Andover (Mass.) HS; they're off to a good start.  Andover
plays its home games at Merrimack and is a rival of my HS alma mater.

- mike