From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 1992 16:40:49 GMT
The USA lost 5-0 to CIS (formerly USSR) in a game that could have assured
them of a gold medal.  USA is now ranked third and will need help to finish
second; a gold is impossible.  If USA beats Czechoslovakia on Sat Jan 4
and Finland beats Sweden, USA gets the silver.  That appears to be the only
scenario by which USA can finish 2nd since USA loses ties with either Sweden
or CIS.

Barring the above, USA will finish third with a bronze by at least tying
Czechoslovakia.  It is also possible that they could win a bronze by losing
and having another scenario work out, but since it is possible that there
will be as many as four teams tied for third (if Can and CZ win & Fin-Swe tie,
Can/Cz/USA/Fin tie with 8 pts) and I don't know the tiebreaker, it's best
that I not speculate.

It looks like Canada will not win a medal; they lose a tiebreaker to both
USA and CZ.  CIS is serving notice that they will be tough at the Olympics.

I'm sorry that I have no details on how any of the college players are doing.

STANDINGS AFTER SIX GAMES AT WORLD JUNIOR CHAMPIONSHIPS IN GERMANY

CIS             5-1-0 10  32-11
Sweden          4-1-1  9  35-20
USA             4-2-0  8  27-20
Finland         3-2-1  7  18-15
Czechoslovakia  3-3-0  6  26-22
Canada          2-2-2  6  19-23
Switzerland     1-5-0  2  17-34
Germany         0-6-0  0   9-38

FINAL GAMES SAT JAN 4:
Finland-Sweden               Germany-Switzerland
Czechoslovakia-USA           Canada-CIS