Date:
Fri, 3 Jan 1992 08:18:59 EST

> The Beanpot is played in the Boston Garden on the first two Mondays of each
> February, although in 1978 the Great Blizzard forced the second night of
> games to be postponed to early March.  Feb. 6, 1978, was the day the
> blizzard began, yet still 11,666 fans showed up to watch Harvard beat
> Northeastern in ot, 4-3, and BU hammered BC, 12-5.  These fans left the Garden
> to find that T service had been brought to a grinding halt by the storm, and
> many had no way home - at least several hundred and maybe a couple thousand
 fans
> were forced to spend several nights inside the Garden as it continued to snow
> for days.  The Championship was postponed to March 1st, when BU beat Harvard
> 7-1 in the only Beanpot game ever played in March.  And it was sold out.

The '78 BU team was one of the best they ever had. They lost only two or
three games that year, and eventually one the NC-whatever championship.
The team featured Olympic stars Jim Craig and Mike Eruzione.

One of the neat things about the Bean Pot is that each school gets
a quarter of the Garden seats, yet for both games the place if full.
The '78 tournament was no exception.
During the BC-BU game, the PA anounced that Boston was being snow under,
and that people might want to leave before it was too late
but the Gardern would stay open. As I recall, very few left, especially from
BU, since we were enjoying the drubbing of BC. The group of us at the game
had little trouble getting back to BU, which is most below ground on the
subway line from the Garden. I imagine many from BC had to spend the
night at the Kenmore subway station. Serves them right.
Among those that spent the night at the Boston Garden were two teams.
Harvard and Northeastern played the early game and were able to get away.

I don't know what has become of the BU-BC rivalry in recent years but
in the late 70's it was intense, so BU's 12 to 5 pasting of BC, plus
the blizzard made the '78 Bean pot memorable.

--
Ken Kretsch		|
MT 2C-312		| Technology is a way of organizing the