From:
Eric Rickin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 30 Dec 1991 16:09:18 -0500
Team USA 5, Sov. Select 1

Soviet   0  1  0 - 1
USA      0  3  2 - 5

First Period - No scoring
Second Period - 1. USA, Emma 13 (Johannson), 2:02
                2. USA, Peterson 2 (Donato, Heinze), 4:22
                3. USA, Young 17 (Sweeney, Jensen), 13:28 (power play)
                4. SOV, Bushmeliov 1 (Barkov, Turikov), 18:46  (power
                        play)
Third Period - 5. USA, McEachern 22 (Drury), 5:12
               6. USA, McInnis 10 (Keczmer, Heinze), 8:17

Shots: Sov 4-8-9=21  USA 4-13-10=27
Powerplays: Sov 1-7, USA 1-3
Goalies: Sov, Maryin, 4-10-8 (27 shots-22 saves)
         USA, Gordon, 4-7-9 (21 shots-20 saves)
Ref: Parsons; Linesmen: Buchanan, Kelly
A: 11,853

Now, I didn't see this game, because it was in Atlanta, but I just
copied the box score out of the paper (and the Plain Dealer doesn't
include penalties anymore!).  But with the Soviets getting 7 powerplay
chances and only 21 shots on goal the whole night, and after seeing them
the night before, a few things come to mind.  I'm guessing that again
Team USA played a totally dump and chase, NHL style game that they found
worked for them in the game before.  So what if they got 7 penalties, as
long as they continued to limit USSR's shots.

So, Team USA has found a way to beat the Soviet Select team on a
200'x85' rink: by playing NHL style, but what's going to happen when
they have to play on a 200'x100' rink w/o International "playing"
experience?  Will they get blown out of the water?  What do you think?

An added "bonus" to US's style of NHL play: The Soviets are NOT used to
that style at all, and when they are checked hard into the boards, or
when a USA player swipes at the USSR goalie after he makes a save, etc.,
the Soviets get very angry and start swinging.  Evidentally, the Soviets
learned not to retaliate in last night's game, but the 6 missed power
play opportunities didn't pan out.
----------
Comments from the game in Cleveland that I forgot.  When the USA team
was playing Olympic style hockey in the 1st period, they always got beat
on the exact same type of play.  Evverytime the Soviets brought it in
the American zone, USA would let them set it up (while the Soviets
forechecked like crazy in their own zone).  Once they would set it up,
they'd throw it from the point to a side.  All the American players
would rush over to that side, clogging the middle, and leaving a Soviet
free on the other side.  The player with the puck would shoot it back to
the point, and then the point man would bring it over to the free man
for an open shot on goal.  Sometimes a Soviet would be free in the lsot
(slot) because of bad american defense.  Several times American players
hit eachother.

Also, I just realized why Cleveland got 2 games, and 1 involving the
Sharks.  The Gund Brothers sit on the Olympic board and also own the
Sharks.  The Gund Brothers ALSO own the Cleveland Caviliers who play in
the Coliseum, which is where all the hockey was played (the only place
in Cleveland where it could be played anyway).  Basically, the Gunds
steered the games to Cleveland, because they also get a cut off of the
Coliseum's profits.

--
Go: Pens, Wings, & Jr. Barons (14-9!)
(or "[log in to unmask]" or "[log in to unmask]")