From:
Jim Teresco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Dec 1991 15:09:24 EST
RPI Invitational Tournament
December 28, 1991

Consolation Game:

Northeastern      3 3 2 - 8
Union             1 2 2 - 5

Scoring:
1st Period:
1) N, Sacco 3 (from MacNair and Saunders) 5:20 (pp)
2) U, Flowers 2 (from Menhall) 7:09
3) N, O'Connor 1 (from Edgerly and Lucas) 8:02
4) N, Grossi 5 (from Melong and Kenny) 19:30

2nd Period-
5) U, Railton 5 (from Ferrero) 0:16 (sh)
6) N, Kenny 10 (from MacNair) 1:43 (pp)
7) U, Flowers 3 (from Ferrero and Clifford) 5:52 (pp)
8) N, Edgerly 1 (from O'Connor and Kelly) 11:22
9) N, Grossi 6 (from Kenny) 12:51

3rd Period-
10) U, Railton 6 (from Ferrero) 9:03
11) N, Bouchard 1 (from Schiavo and Laplante) 9:29
12) U, Ferrero 7 10:04 (sh)
13) N, Aube 4 (from Schiavo) 10:40 (pp)

Shots on goal: Northeastern 13-13-16--42, Union 8-14-8--30.

Goaltending: Northeastern, Cole (W)(30 shots, 25 saves)
             Union, Helkie (L,0-1-0)(42 shots, 34 saves)

Power Play: Northeastern 3 of 8, Union 1 of 6.

Referee: Pierre Belanger (He called a fair and even game)

Union coach Bruce Delventhal made some changes in the lineup Saturday,
giving some new faces, and some old faces, a chance to play Division I
hockey.  The Dutchmen battled Northeastern, but could never keep the
momentum, and lost to the Huskies, 8-5.  They played much better than
they had against RPI in the first round, but still gave up 42 shots on
goal.

Freshmen Gary Edmands and Cory Holbrough got into their second game of
the year, and transfer Jon Quint made his first appearance for Union.
A familiar face was back in the net, as junior Jim Helkie made his
first start of the year for Union.  Helkie split time in goal last
season with Shayne White, now a senior.  Freshmen Mike Gallant and
Luigi Villa had been alternating starts in goal for Union until
Helkie's start Saturday.

Northeastern scored first when Paul Sacco beat Helkie on the power
play at 5:20.  Jayson Flowers tied it for Union at 7:09, but Tom
O'Connor gave Northeastern the lead for good less than a minute later.
Union defenseman Scott Whitney apparently lost sight of the puck
behind Union's net, leading to O'Connor's goal.  Union continued to
have problems dumping the puck in, particularly on the power play.
They were called for icing several times when they could have been
more careful and avoid the call.  Northeastern took a 3-1 lead when
Dino Grossi scored with just 30 seconds left in the period.

Union started the second period a man down, with Dalton Menhall in the
box after taking a penalty at 19:57 of the first.  Craig Ferrero won
the faceoff, though, and assisted Bill Railton on a shorthanded goal
just 16 seconds into the period.  The Huskies came back on that same
power play when Rob Kenny scored at 1:43.  Union came within 1 when
Flowers scored his second of the game on the power play at 5:52.
Union continued to put good pressure on goalie Tom Cole.  In the
middle of the period, Northeastern got 2 quick goals to take a 6-3
lead into the second intermission.

Union had two power plays early in the third, but Northeastern killed
both off easily.  The second penalty a direct result of the good work
of 5'7" Wally Bzdell, who stayed right with Chris Foy as he carried
the puck into Union's zone.  All of the third period scoring was
bunched into the middle two minutes of the period.  Railton scored his
second of the game at 9:03, but Francois Bouchard got that one back
just 16 seconds later.  Then with Union's Bill McKenna serving a
double minor, Craig Ferrero came in shorthanded for an unassisted
goal.  But just 36 seconds later, Jean-Francois Aube gave Northeastern
the 3-goal lead back.  Union couldn't get any good chances late in the
game, and any hopes for a comeback were ended when the Dutchmen took a
late penalty for the second night in a row.

Helkie played very well for Union, although he gave up 8 goals.  He
finished with 34 saves.  When asked about his decision to start Helkie
rather than Gallant or Villa, Delventhal had these comments: "One of
the really hard things about coaching this year is that I see myself
as a guy trying to develop a program.  We have kids who were here when
we were Division III and we have kids here who are Division I players.
Part of my job is to balance things and be the proper caretaker of
Union hockey.  I've got to get people in the lineup and let people
play..."

The big problem in this game was that 4 of Union's goals were followed
almost immediately by Northeastern goals.  Any time the Dutchmen
seemed to be on the way back, the Huskies would come right in and
score.  The defense is still a problem, again allowing over 40 shots
on goal.  On the positive side, Craig Ferrero continued his great
season with a goal and 3 assists.  He has proven he is a Division I
player.  Union falls to 1-8 overall and is 0-6 in the ECAC.
Notheastern is now 7-8 overall and is 1-6 in Hockey East.  Union will
be home for games against Cornell Friday and Colgate Saturday.

Championship Game:

St. Lawrence    0 3 1 - 4
R.P.I.          0 0 1 - 1

Scoring:
1st Period- none.

2nd Period-
1) SLU, Skene 2 (from Terwilliger and C. Lappin) 8:08
2) SLU, M. Lappin 13 (from C. Lappin) 10:28
3) SLU, C. Lappin 3 (from Albert and Wells) 17:51

3rd Period-
4) RPI, Hamelin 11 (from Pasco and Bartell) 3:06
5) SLU, Dent 2 (from M. Lappin and Albert) 17:40 (pp)

Shots on Goal: SLU 11-10-9--30, RPI 7-12-14--33.

Goaltending: SLU, Spagnoletti (33 shots, 32 saves)  **Tournament MVP
             RPI, Little (30 shots, 26 saves)

Power Plays: SLU 1 of 5, RPI 0 of 4.

Attendance: 3734
--
| Jim Teresco			Union College                                 |
| [log in to unmask]	Schenectady, NY 12308			      |