From:
David Parter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Dec 1991 16:31:38 CST
Bank One Badger Hockey Showdown
Bradley Center, Milwaukee Wisconsin
December 28, 1991

			    THIRD PLACE GAME
			    ================

	Toronto		2  0  0  -  2
	Yale		2  3  4  -  9

			      First Period
Scoring:
	Toronto - DePiero 7 (Cherepacha), pp, :59
	Toronto - Usher 9 (Wilson, Smith), 3:42
	Yale - Weidenbach 4 (O'Brien), 14:21
	Yale - Kaufmann 10 (Allen, Duffy), pp, 16:35
Penalties:
	Ferguson, Y, :36
	Matusovich, Y, :36
	Haarmann, T, 15:30
	Columbus, T, 16:16

			     Second Period
Scoring:
	Yale - Kaufmann 11 (Chiasson, Sather), 2:41
	Yale - Lombardi 1 (Duffy), 4:27
	Yale - Chiasson 5 (O'Brien, Weidenbach), 12:06
Penalties:
	Wilson, T, 5:42
	Cipolla, Y, 13:23
	Mattby, Y, 18:05

			      Third Period
Scoring:
	Yale - Weidenbach 5 (unassisted), 7:26
	Yale - Kaufmann 12 (Sather, Duffy), pp, 10:15
	Yale - Kaufmann 13 (Allen, Duffy), pp, 13:02
	Yale - Lombardi 2 (Ferguson, Williams), 16:47
Penalties:
	Van Sickle, T, 2:22
	Clark, T, 2:22
	Cipolla, Y, 2:22
	Mann, T, 9:55
	Coon, T, 11:27
	Cipolla, Y, 13:23
	Cinder, T, 18:14 (5 minute major, butt-ending)
	Van Sickle, T, 18:14

Saves:
	O'Donnell (Toronto)	10   8  9  -  27
	Sullivan (Yale)		12  14  8  -  34

Power Play:
	Toronto:	1 for 5
	Yale:		3 for 7

I didn't get to see most of the third-place game (I was outdside,
trying to get a pair of tickets), but by the end (which I saw) it was a
real rout.

Mark Kaufmann had four goals for Yale. Yale Goalie Todd Sullivan made
his first collegiate start. Yale was the much faster team.

Toronto Coach Paul Titanic was quoted in the paper today as being very
upset with his team's effort: "I'm very disapointed for the fans and
ourselves and the tournament that we didn't play well"

			   CHAMPIONSHIP GAME
			   =================

	Maine		0  0  2  -  2
	Wisconsin	0  3  0  -  3

			      First Period
Penalties:
	Zent, W, 4:08
	LaCouture, M, 9:59
	Martin, M, 9:59
	Mike Strobel, W, 9:59
	Mercier, M, 16:57
	Shier, W, 17:37

			     Second Period
Scoring:
	Wisconsin - Doers 1 (Moore), sh, 8:16
	Wisconsin - Fairchild 4 (Hedlund), 11:32
	Wisconsin - Zent 12 (Macdonald, Plante), 15:01
Penalties:
	Helgeson, W, 2:01
	Silverman, M, 5:23
	Plante, W, 8:04
	Montgomery, M, 12:29
	Fairchild, W, 15:47

			      Third Period
Scoring:
	Maine - Olson 6 (Pellerin, Ingraham), 2:54
	Maine - Downey 10 (Ingraham), 14:50
Penalties:
	Ingraham, M, :29
	Tok, W, :29
	Kurtz, W, 8:59
	Maine Bench, 14:04 (too many men, served by Tepper)
	Nelson, W, 14:23

Saves:
	Snow (Maine)		7  8  8  -  23
	Derksen (Wisconsin)	6  7  7  -  20

Power Play:
	Maine:		0 for 7
	Wisconsin:	0 for 5

Attendence:	17,711 (sold out)

Wisconsin and Maine skated hard in a defensive game. The first period
was hard fought back and forth, with only 7 badger shots getting
through to Snow, and 6 on Derkson.

[Please forgive me if I have the descriptions of goals 1 and 3 backwards....
I didn't take notes and there was no replay and I seem to be losing my
memory.....]

In the first half of the second period, it was more of the same.  I had
just commented to a friend that the crowd needed to get fired up, when
Wisconsin's Plante took a penalty. Twelve seconds later, Mike Doers got
his first goal, shorthanded, on a nice back-door feed from Blaine
Moore. That took care of the quiet crowd problem.... Doers is a
transfer student who hasn't played much.

Wisconsin's second goal was one of those funny ones. Kelly Fairchild
got a feed from Todd Hedlund (another player who hasn't played much)
and went in 1-on-1 with a Maine defended. The defenseman stood
Fairchild up in the center slot, but seemed more concerned with pushing
him than playing the puck, which was between his skates. Fairchild
tapped the puck, which slid slowly past Snow and over the line to give
Wisconsin a 2-0 lead at 11:13.

Jason Zent completed the Wisconsin scoring with a decisive goal. The
puck came from the left corner to Zent, all alone on the right side a
few feet above the crease. Snow tried to slide over from the side where
he had been preventing a shot from the corner and started to go down. A
defensemen was behind him, trying to cover the net. Zent waited, and
waited until Snow was down, and lifted it nicely over him into the net
(and nowhere near the defenseman who was trying to help).

In the third period, Maine got close. They put the pressure on, but
Derksen and the Badger defense did the job. The first Maine goal came
when Wisconsin started running around in their own end.

Maine second (and final) goal came on a break-away as Wisconsin was
changing. One defensemen played Ingraham on the near side on the blue
line, but that left Downy open on the other side. He took the pass and
skated in on Derksen, chased by a Badger, who probably should have
taken the penalty to stop him.

With slightly more than a minute left, Maine called time out to plan
their goalie-pulling move. The face off was at the Maine blue line.
With 43 seconds left, Maine got a face off to Derksen's right, and
pulled Snow. Wisconsin took a time out, and then the officials took
forever getting a fair face off. Wisconsin couldn't get the puck out of
the zone, but tenacious defense and big saves by Derksend  kept Maine
from scoring. One more face off to Derksen's right, and Wisconsin got
the puck out of the zone and won the game in a thrilling finish.

Wisconsin's biggest area of weakness all year has been breaking out of
their zone, and Maine did a good job forechecking them. Wisconsin has a
tendancy to make sloppy passes in the breakout, and Maine stepped in to
break up the play a number of times. Maine used this to kill off
several Badger powerplays.

Referee Greg Shepard did a good job, and continued his surprising move
from Friday night, in calling extra penalties a couple of times.
Overall, the game didn't have many penalties and wasn't chippy.

			  ALL TOURNAMENT TEAM
			  ===================

		Forwards:	Jason Zent, Wisconsin
				Mark Kaufmann, Yale
		Center:		Doug Macdonald, Wisconsin
		Defense:	Barry Richter, Wisconsin
				Jason Weinrich, Maine
		Goalie:		Duane Derksen, Wisconsin

		MVP:		Duane Derksen, Wisconsin

TOURNAMENT NOTES:

This was the third Bank One Badger Hockey Showdown. Wisconsin has won
all three. In 1989, Wisconsin beat BC in the championship game, last
year it was Wisconsin 3-2 over North Dakota. Coach Sauer wants to keep
scheduling top teams for the tournament. He has both BC and BU
scheduled for next year. I don't know who the fourth team may be, but
maybe it'll be a team with a big hockey-l following or a pep band that
will make the trip....

Maine coach Shawn Walsh praised the tournament:
    "People who didn't see this ... ooohhh ... they missed a great one.
    I just hope we get invited back sometime because I love being in
    this tournament. ...

    I told Jeff [Sauer] this game was the exact way this tournament was
    run. It was a classy game played by two calssy teams that was
    classily officiated. This is the premier college hockey tournament
    right now in the country."

Duane Derksen bacame the all-time winingest goalie in Wisconsin
history, with win number 69 (Dean Anderson has 68). Dersen was also the
tournament MVP for the second year in a row.

The WCHA assigned referees Greg Shepard and Buzz Christiansen.  Shepard
officiated the Wisconsin-Yale and Wisconsin-Maine games.

A decent sized crowd showed up for the third place game, and gave both
teams a good round of applause at the end. When the speeches were being
made (short ones) and the awards presented, the crowd (very happy that
Wisconsin won) gave Maine a nice salute as well.

Lloyd Petis presented the Petis Cup to Badger Captain Doug Macdonald.
He made a few brief comments to the crowd, which gave him a loud
ovation when he was introduced. Petis and his wife Jane donated the
Bradley Center to the city of Milwaukee, helped start the showdown,
donated the championship cup, and want to bring an NHL team to
Milwaukee. The Bradley Center is a fantastic hockey arena.

This weekend was my first time in the Bradley Center, and I still can't
believe how nice it is.

I'd like to take this space to thank the hockey gods (Buzzy didn't ref
the championship game) and all the nice hockey people out there,
including the people who sold me their pair of extra tickets at face
value ($11 each), when the scalpers wanted $40 each for a pair in the
upper section behind the goal. Next year I'm going to order tickets....

	--david

--------
david parter					[log in to unmask]
university of wisconsin -- madison		computer sciences department