From:
Date:
Sat, 28 Dec 1991 08:52:24 CST

	Plante, W, 19:29

			     Second Period
Penalties:
	Nelson, W, 3:22
	Chiasson, Y, 6:52
	Nelson, W, 6:52
	Mattby, Y, 12:03 (double minor)
	Spenccer, W, 13:01
	Yale bench, 18:00 (too many men, served by Williams)

			      Third Period
Scoring:
	Wisconsin - Fairchild 3 (Macdonald, Richter), pp, 1:22
	Wisconsin - Shier 2 (Spencer, Tok), 5:40
	Wisconsin - Shier 3 (Spencer, Nelson), 10:29
	Yale - Weidenbach 3 (Matusavich), pp, 11:48
	Wisconsin - Zent 10 (Kurtz), 13:37
	Wisconsin - Zent 11 (Macdonald), pp, 18:36
	Wisconsin - Buss 1 (Fairchild, Harwell), 18:48
Penalties:
	Fergusun, Y, :34
	Harwell, W, 1:58
	Kaufman, Y, 2:50
	Nelson, W, 2:50
	Weidenbach, Y, 9:28
	Moore, W, 9:28
	Zent, W, 11:07
	Balkovec, W, 11:07
	Duffy, Y, 15:48
	Moore, W, 15:48
	Mackey, Y, 16:10
	Macdonald, W, 16:10
	Blidfsen, Y, 17:27

Saves:
	Hockin (Yale)		9  17  9  -  35
	Derksen (Wisconsin)	5   7  7  -  19

Power Play:
	Yale:	1-for-6
	Wisconsin:	2-for-7

Attendence:	16,867

I missed the first game, and this was my first game at the Bradley
Center. Wow. The building is really fantastic, and the game was great.
Our seats were front row, just above the center of the face of circle
in the end Wisconsin defended twice. We couldn't see the one corner,
but we still saw a lot.

Wisconsin was off for exams and Christmas and the NC$$ mandated idle
week (no coaches at practice, etc). I don't know about Yale. Badger
captain Doug Macdonald returned from his shoulder separation recieved
early in the season.

Both teams came out and hustled in the first period. Wisconsin made a
couple of mistakes that were probably due to being a little rusty, but
they adjusted pretty quick. Yale was very aggressive about
forechecking, but seems to not be that agressive in their own defensive
zone, allowing Wisconisn the perimiter shots.

The first period started out flying, then slowed down as Referee Greg
Shepard finally saw enough to start calling penalties. Shepard usually
lets the teams skate, calling a looser game than he could, and tonight
was no execption. He called a bunch of matching minors, and it looked
like the game might get out of hand. Fortunatly, although the chipiness
returned a couple of time, no one had a fight on the ice. The penalties
slowed things down, but niether team scored.

In the second period, Yale put some pressure on early, and there was
good up-and-down hockey. At about the middle of the period, the shot
count for the game was almost even (13-11, Wisconsin) when Wisconisn
really turned it on and dominated the rest of the period, outshooting
Yale 17-7. The Badgers had several powerplays, but didn't score. Yale's
7 shots included several high-quality scoring chances. Since we had
such a good view of Hockin, the Yale goalie, we were treated to a show.
He made a lot of *really good* saves, mostly with his glove.  Wisconsin
shot high to his glove side a lot, and Hockin kept it scoreless. He
also got lucky. On two occasions, Zent missed open nets, and another
badger shot hit to post behind him. Wisconsin was getting perimiter and
mid-range shots, but either couldn't get shots off the rebound, or just
missed, or Hockin saved Yale again. Probably the best period of hockey
I have seen this year.

In the third period, the Badgers finally cracked Hocksin, scoring early
and often. Wisconsin got out to a 3-0 lead, which seemed comfortable,
given the scoreless first two periods. Yale got one back on a
powerplay, and Wisconsin responded with 3 more. Derksen was called on
the made some good saves at the Wisconsin end. Like the first period,
Shepard called a bunch of matching penalties, and a bunch of lone
calls.

The crowd was almost a sell out, and definatly rocking. Today's
championship game should be sold out (I am looking for tickets....).
Wisconsin will play Maine (winners 4-1 over U of Toronto).

Referee Greg Shepard surprised me. As is his reputation, he let a lot
go, but he was pretty consistant (which I don't think he usually is),
and really surprising me, he started calling well-deserved additional
penalties where one had already been called on the same team or player,
so not everything ended up matched up, and it looked like he actually
saw what was going on...

Buzzy Christiansen was the referee for the other game, I don't know who
the WCHA will assign for which game today (although it is a sure bet
that Badger freshman Mike Tok's dad will be the linesman for the
Yale-Toronto game, and not Maine-Wisconsin !)

	--david

--------
david parter					[log in to unmask]
university of wisconsin -- madison		computer sciences department