From:
Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 27 Dec 1991 03:28:04 EST
Here's a little late Christmas gift that I hope some of you will enjoy.

From the 1988 Hobey Baker Memorial Award Program, April 10, 1988.

TOP 10 HOBEY BAKER CANDIDATES 1981-88 (in order of balloting)
(*) designates non-Division I players

1981
1  Neal Broten, Minnesota
2  Steve Bozek, Northern Michigan
3 *Bill Provencher, Bowdoin
4 *Tom Lawler, Merrimack
5  Sandy Beadle, Northeastern
6 *Mark Hentges, College of St Thomas
7 *Rick Strack, SUNY Plattsburgh
8 *Steve Carroll, Mankato State
9  Ed Small, Clarkson
10 Steve Ulseth, Minnesota

1982
1  George McPhee, Bowling Green
2  Ed Beers, Denver
3  Kirk McCaskill, Vermont
4  Brian Hills, Bowling Green
5  Steve Cruickshank, Clarkson
6  Dave Poulin, Notre Dame
7  Bryan Erickson, Minnesota
8 *Paul Lohnes, Lowell
9  John Newberry, Wisconsin
10 Ron Scott, Michigan State

1983
1  Mark Fusco, Harvard
2 *Mike Carr, Lowell
3 *Jack Arena, Amherst
4  Kurt Kleinendorst, Providence
5  James Patrick, North Dakota
6  Randy Velischek, Providence
7  Scott Bjugstad, Minnesota
8  Bryan Erickson, Minnesota
9  Ron Scott, Michigan State
10 Bob Brooke, Yale
   Brian Hills, Bowling Green

1984
1  Tom Kurvers, Minnesota-Duluth
2  Cleon Daskalakis, Boston University
3  Paul Pooley, Ohio State
4  Dan Dorion, Western Michigan
5  Gates Orlando, Providence
6  Steve Smith, Colgate
7 *Jean Roy, Bowdoin
8  Jon Casey, North Dakota
9 *Joel Otto, Bemidji State
10*Paul Donato, Babson

1985
1  Bill Watson, Minnesota-Duluth
2  Ray Staszak, Illinois-Chicago
3  Adam Oates, RPI
4  Tim Army, Providence
5  Dave Fretz, Clarkson
6  Kelly Miller, Michigan State
7  Pat Micheletti, Minnesota
8  Scott Fusco, Harvard
9 *Hubie McDonough, St Anselm
10 Craig Simpson, Michigan State

1986
1  Scott Fusco, Harvard
2  Dallas Gaume, Denver
3  Scott Harlow, Boston College
4  Dan Dorion, Western Michigan
5  Gary Emmons, Northern Michigan
6  Brett Hull, Minnesota-Duluth
7  Norm MacIver, Minnesota-Duluth
8  Mike Donnelly, Michigan State
9  Chris Terreri, Providence
10 Scott Sandelin, North Dakota

1987
1  Tony Hrkac, North Dakota
2  John Cullen, Boston University
3  Gary Emmons, Northern Michigan
4  Wayne Gagne, Western Michigan
5  Tony Granato, Wisconsin
6  Craig Janney, Boston College
7  Brian Leetch, Boston College
8  Lane MacDonald, Harvard
9  Joe Nieuwendyk, Cornell
10*Tom Sasso, Babson

1988
1  Robb Stauber, Minnesota
2  Mark Vermette, Lake Superior
3  Steve Johnson, North Dakota
4  Paul Ranheim, Wisconsin
5  Dave Capuano, Maine
6  Nelson Emerson, Bowling Green
7  Peter Lappin, St Lawrence
8  Mike Golden, Maine
9  Phil Berger, Northern Michigan
   Rejean Boivin, Colgate
DivII-III West Winner: Ken Hilgert, Mankato State
DivII-III East Winner: Jim Vesey, Merrimack

Results from 1981-87 only give winner and list other candidates in order
of finish, so there may have been ties I did not note - except where there
were 11 players listed in 1983, I guessed the last two had tied for tenth.
DivII-III winners were only given for 1988.  I do not have on hand the
lists for 1989-91, but I believe that starting in 1989 only the winner and
runner-up were given; the other 8 were just listed as "finalists".  I do
not have any details on Div II-III winners other than 1988, nor do I know
in which years these were awarded.  No non-DivI players appeared in the
top 10 from 1988 through 1991 as far as I know, suggesting that there was
a separation of awards at some time.  The original award was just for the
top player, no designation as to division.

Steve Christoff of Minnesota and the 1980 US Olympic Team was the model
for the award which features a skater stopping quickly in a three-point
base of skates and stick (right-handed).  The player in the trophy does
not wear a helmet, which is a good trivia question.

The 1988 program gives the following description of how the balloting works.

"Every head hockey coach at an accredited NCAA or NAIA school receives one
ballot.  Coaches are asked to pick the top three players in their league
and the top three players in the nation (two separate rankings, three
players each; a player may be listed in both places, and a coach can vote
for his own player).

"Approximately 130 schools are eligible.  These ballots are tabulated by an
accounting firm, and the top 10 candidates are named.

"This top 10 advances to a 13-member Selection Committee.  This committee
decides the eventual winner, from the top 10 picked by the coaches.  This
anonymous committee is divided into three geographical regions - West,
Central, East - and each region has a representative from the following
groups: print media, electronic media, NHL scout, American Hockey Coaches
Association (college hockey coaches) member.  The 13th member is an at-large
representative of the Amateur Hockey Association of the United States [now
USA Hockey - mike].

"Selection Committee terms are two years, and members may be re-appointed.
Selection Committee nominees are approved by a six-member Advisory
Committee.  The Advisory Committee is a six-member group, representing
expertise in all facets of hockey.  Terms are also two years, and members
may be re-appointed.

"Award criteria are:
1. Candidates should display outstanding hockey skills and contribute to
   the team effort.
2. Candidates must comply with all NCAA rules; they must be full-time
   students in an accredited NCAA or NAIA college or university.
3. Candidates should complete approximately 50 percent of the season or
   more.  Consideration may be given to scholastic achievement, strength
   of character, and aspirations."

I do not know if any of the above has changed since 1988.  I believe in
1988 or so the separation into three regions (West/Central/East) was done,
and this irked the East which claimed all teams from HE and the ECAC were
being lumped into one region while the WCHA and CCHA effectively got their
own regions.  But Lane MacDonald won in 1989 and David Emma won in 1991,
so there doesn't seem to have been any slighting of Eastern players.  Kip
Miller of Michigan State was the 1990 winner.
---
Mike Machnik        [log in to unmask]       [log in to unmask]