From:
"Ralph N. Baer" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ralph N. Baer
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 1997 08:03:03 EST
Bill Schneller <[log in to unmask]> wrote in part:

At 05:38 AM 2/26/97 EST, Ralph N. Baer wrote in part:

>>It still rankles me to see Terrari's name included
>>because he won the MVP in 1985 when several RPI players IMBO (B = biased)
>>should have won it over him.  (And probably the reason he won was that the
>>opposition vote was very divided.)
>
>As far as still being rankled 12 years later (and I thought I could carry a
>grudge :) ) here's an excerpt from the Providence Journal's write up on
>Terreri's performance that post-season:

Twelve years!  Time flies.  That means that there are only 19 more
years to wait until RPI wins again. :-)

> In 1985, after setting a league record with 65 saves in a 2-1 win over
> Boston College in the Hockey East finals, Terreri backstopped the
> Friars through a two-game, total-goals win over Michigan State in the
> first round the tournament.
>
> The Friars met BC again in the semifinals, dropping the Eagles in three
> overtimes, 4-3, during which Terreri set an NCAA tournament
> single-game record with 62 saves. He also set the record for most
> saves in two championship games (semifinals and final) with 102.

> Those sound like MVP numbers to me.  What I best remember about that
> championship was that RPI's winning goal was scored immediately following a
> face off that should have been whistled dead when one of the Engineers
> cheated into the circle.  Now there's a reason to be rankled!

That was George Servinis, and I agree that the play should have been
whistled dead.  Obviously, I am biased, but I do not think that Terrari
should be on the all-time NCAA Tourney team if it is based only on the
finals.  If it is based upon the entire tourney then he is a deserving
choice although good cases could be made for other goalies.  (No qualms
with Dryden and Berendt.)

The reason that this all started was that the 140 or so players chosen as
nominees were all participants in the finals at least once.  Always
striving for consistency, I decided that the team should thus be chosen
based upon performance in the finals.  Clearly, as several people have
mentioned (and others in private mail) no such instructions were given
to the voters, and so the final team was based upon whatever criteria the
individual voters wanted to use.

As to whether Terrari should have been the MVP in 1985, I only saw the
finals, not the other games that Providence played in.  He made 40 saves
in the game, but I thought that his defense was of great asssitance to
him there.  As I said, I am biased, but I know that I was very surprised
that he won at the time.  I felt then that the opposition vote was probably
divided among several RPI players (Servinis, Oates, Carter, perhaps
Hammond and Puppa).

P.S. Thanks for remembering Proulx's name.

Ralph Baer
RPI '68, '70, '74