From:
Bill Schneller <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Schneller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Feb 1997 06:37:59 -0500
At 05:38 AM 2/26/97 EST, Ralph N. Baer wrote in part:

>Can someone tell me if Chris Terreri actually played in the tourney in
>1983?  I know that Providence finished third that year, when he must have
>been a freshman, but wasn't he the backup to someone whose name is escaping
>me for the moment?

The name you can't remember is Mario Proulx. Proulx was just surpassed this
season by Dan Dennis for most career games played by a Friar backstop.  As
far as Terreri's participation in the '83 tournament I am trying to get that
answer and will let you know if I succeed.

>It still rankles me to see Terrari's name included
>because he won the MVP in 1985 when several RPI players IMBO (B = biased)
>should have won it over him.  (And probably the reason he won was that the
>opposition vote was very divided.)

As far as still being rankled 12 years later (and I thought I could carry a
grudge :) ) here's an excerpt from the Providence Journal's write up on
Terreri's performance that post-season:

 In 1985, after setting a league record with 65 saves in a 2-1 win over
 Boston College in the Hockey East finals, Terreri backstopped the
 Friars through a two-game, total-goals win over Michigan State in the
 first round the tournament.

 The Friars met BC again in the semifinals, dropping the Eagles in three
 overtimes, 4-3, during which Terreri set an NCAA tournament
 single-game record with 62 saves. He also set the record for most
 saves in two championship games (semifinals and final) with 102.

Those sound like MVP numbers to me.  What I best remember about that
championship was that RPI's winning goal was scored immediately following a
face off that should have been whistled dead when one of the Engineers
cheated into the circle.  Now there's a reason to be rankled!

- Bill Schneller