Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 1991 18:54:54 +0900
Kenny writes:
>  Of course the article doesn't exist.  I mean, Pierre is still officiating
>  hockey games for the NCAA.  Assuming that a referee DID say something like
>  what you Cornellians claim he did, that referee's officiating days (at least
>  in the NCAA) would come to a quick end.

> And I truly don't believe that any referee working for the NCAA, no matter
> how bad a temper he may have, would ever pass remarks such as those
> mentioned here.  It seems to me like a nice myth that the "Lynah Faithful"
 have
> perpetuated to maintain their hatred for Pierre.  And given the amount of
> harassing that it seems you do to him when he's there, I wouldn't be surprised
> if he's just a bit biased against Cornell (subconsciously, of course).

Not to overburden you with a little perspective, but may I politely
remind you that it was the list's pre-eminent Cornell hockey authority
who originally posted the challenge to the claim, and that more than a
few hockey-l Cornellians have expressed their strongest doubts that the
article ever existed? (Not that I'd accuse an Engineer of Red-baiting.)

As far as Pierre's, um, distinctive style is concerned, I have
witnessed its being heatedly maligned in every ECAC building in which
I've ever seen him work a game. He's *everybody's* favorite.

OK, almost everybody's. When all this first came up I promised myself
I'd let it die without adding my own "least favorite ref" nonsense. Oh
well, call it an early broken resolution: personally, I'll take Pierre
over Wayne Houmiel any day - call me crazy, but I just don't think the
game was intended to be played in complete anarchy for the first 20
minutes and then three-on-three for the last 40.

- Greg