From:
Mark Grassl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 1991 16:04:16 CST
Here are a number of diverse items all mixed into one big messy posting.

Item #1  From this morning's Wisc. State Journal:

	Ex-Badger Sean Hill has been loaned from the Montreal Canadiens
	to the US Olympic team.  Hill, a defenseman,  left Wisconsin
	last year after his junior season.
	[I guess Dave Pederson heard Mike's call that the Olympic
	team is weak at defense.]

Item #2  Mike writes:

>I don't recall seeing this on the list, but I was told that last year's
>Boston Globe Player of the Year is headed to Wisconsin.  He is a goalie
>from Catholic Memorial in West Roxbury, MA.  Sorry I can't remember his name,
>but he is supposed to be a very good one although I've never seen him play.

	Yes, this is true.  I can't think of the kid's name
	either though.  Derksen is a senior this year and the rarely used
	backup Michelizzi is a junior.  So this recruit has a good shot at
	some serious playing time next year as a freshman.  That I suspect
	is one reason why he considered Wisconsin.  Not to mention that
	Wisconsin has a good record recently of grooming high quality goalies
	i.e. Behrend, Joseph, Richter, Derksen.

Item #3  Junior World Championships roster?

	If anyone happens upon a US Juniors roster please post it.  I think
	quite a few people would be interested in it.  Two UW players on
	the team are Brian Rafelski(D) and Chris Tucker(C).

	Also, a while back Carol posted that the two Gopher players (Hendrickson
	and Johnson ?) selected turned down the offer to play with the team.
	As I remember Carol said the two wanted to play in the Minn-NMU
	series.  That series was last weekend and the Junior WC isn't
	until after Xmas.  Did the Junior players already leave for Europe?
	Training camp?  Just wondering.

Item #4  Bob Johnson trophy?

	I think it is awfully nice that non-UW people think so highly of Bob
	Johnson.  I don't want to sound like "homer" so I won't say about
	naming a national trophy after him.

	However on a local note I have already seen a number of
	letters to the local newspaper suggesting various venues
	to be renamed in honor of Badger Bob.  A few years back
	there were plans for a 15,000+ seat convocation Center to be
	built on campus.  It would serve for sports such as bball, hockey,
	and volleyball(an up and coming sport here at UW) and graduation
	ceremonies.  Those plans were shelved due to big financial
	problems in the Athletic Dept.  Maybe these plans will be revived
	with Bob's name attached to the Center.

@ mark grassl				[log in to unmask]            @
@ Froliche Weinachtstag (or however they spell it)                      @
@ "I'm celebrating my love for you with a pint of beer                  @