From:
Ron Correia <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 17 Feb 1997 12:35:43 -0500
I spoke to Eric Sundquist (the color announcer for PC Hockey) after the game.
 What he told me matches his description of the brawl on the radio (my father
was listening to the broadcast.)  As the teams gathered at center ice for the
traditional handshake, UNH's Eric Boguniecki cross checked PC's Hal Gill from
behind.  Boguniecki had been hacking at Gill throughout the game, and at one
point sent Gill off limping after a hack to the ankles.  Anyway, Pooley saw
the cross check and yelled to Umile to control his players.  Umile and Pooley
then entered into a jawing match and both had to be restrained.  From there,
both assistant coaches started a yelling match.  PC's Josh MacNevin stepped
between the assistants to separate them, and pushed both away.  When he
pushed the UNH assistant back, all hell broke loose.

If there are any DQ's awarded in this fray, UNH's Mike Souza should be
heading the list.  He looked like a bumble bee pollinating a dandelion field.
 He skated from one fighting pair to the next, sucker punching whoever was
tied up in a fight then skating away before any retaliation could occur.  I'm
sure this will be obvious on the tape that is being reviewed.

-- Ron