From:
Arthur Mintz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 1991 16:01:54 EST
     It seems to me that much of the debate that has recently
gone on about Pierre Belanger is based on an article that
allegedly appeared in Sports Illustrated, in which Pierre
allegedly made derogatory comments about Cornell University.
     I had never seen or heard of such an article until it was
first mentioned on this mailing list. It would seem to me that,
presented with such an article, the governing body for which the
official who was foolish enough to make such comments is employed
would have no choice but to bar that official, not just from games
involving the school or schools about which the official made
comments, but from all games controlled by that governing body.
     The fact that I've never seen the article, never heard anyone
from Cornell comment about the article, never heard anyone else
in the league comment about the article, doesn't mean the article
doesn't exist, but it makes me extremely skeptical. For all you
Pierre-hating Cornell fans out there, I make the following offer:
Show me the article, either a reference to a specific issue date
and page or a copy of the magazine itself, and I will take it up
with Joe Bertagna himself.